David Manning

NCD reports new COVID-19 case

This brings the total number of cases in NCD to 262 and 424 for the country. The death toll remains at four.

This case is among 1,887 samples that were collected in NCD between 31 July to August 26.

In a statement National Pandemic Controller, David Manning, said of the people that have tested positive to COVID-19 so far, 53.8 per cent are asymptomatic (no symptoms).

Manning said  out of the 27 health facilities and sites expected to collect samples for COVID-19 in NCD, only seven are conducting tests with the Rita Flynn Isolation Facility leading the way.

Western Province reports 18 new cases

This brings the country’s total confirmed positive cases to 419.

The death toll for the country remains at four, all from the National Capital District.

The 18 new cases reported are all from the Western Province bringing its total confirmed cases to 143, the majority being 140, are from the Ok Tedi Mine.

The mine shut down its operations two weeks ago when seven of its employees tested positive to COVID-19, and the mine township of Tabubil went into a 14-day lockdown.

Controller approves return of Chinese workers

Manning said these are important construction managers and workers of major Chinese state owned enterprises engaged on major government infrastructures, including a hydro power station, major provincial airport redevelopments, major highway constructions as well as the construction of the new National and Supreme Court building.

He said these workers were stranded since the outbreak of COVID-19 and need to get back to complete these projects, which are funded by various international finance institutions, including the Asian Development Bank.

Namah’s proposed visit to Rita Flynn welcomed

Manning was responding to comments by Namah claiming that the announcement on the first COVID-19 case in Vanimo is fake.

Manning said the patient in Vanimo was tested at the Sandaun Provincial Hospital through the geneXpert machine and the results were formally transmitted to the National Control Centre health technical team for announcement.

Dr Stella Jimmy, Director of Curative Health at the Sandaun Provincial Health Authority, confirmed that the patient was tested positive for COVID-19. She said the patient is being moved into an isolation facility.

Over 30 new COVID-19 cases by Aug 5

The Controller of the National Pandemic Response, David Manning, said of those 39 new cases, two tested positive in Western Province, one in West Sepik Province and 37 in the National Capital District.

The Sandaun case is the first recorded in the province while Western Province has recorded its sixth and seventh case.

The West Sepik Provincial Health Authority yesterday confirmed that an adult male who had returned last fortnight from a training in Port Moresby was sick and tested positive in Vanimo on GeneXpert on Tuesday night.

Commissioner directs investigation into teen’s death

The young man was allegedly subjected to assault by policemen attached to the Six-Mile Police Station and died last Saturday. Members of the Six Mile community protested on Sunday but were stopped by Police.

Commissioner Manning said he wants this and other claims of police brutality and abuse to be thoroughly investigated.

“We the police are not above the law. We are entrusted to protect life and property and to bring to justice those who break the law,” he stated.

New Internal Affairs Directorate office to be built

The new office will be next to the National Fraud and Anti-Corruption Directorate building.

Construction work is scheduled to commence in late September this year.

Manning says this would solve the problem of rental for the Internal Affairs Directorate where they have been renting office for the last three years.

“This is where we need leadership with vision and foresight. If we had built three years ago, we would not have paid over K2 million on rentals.”

Manning clarifies Correctional Services protocol

Manning made this clarification in response to concerns that the Bomana Prison facility is treating remandee Bhosip Kaiwi, charged this week for the killing of Jenelyn Kennedy, different from others going into prison.

“I am advised by CS Commissioner Stephen Pokanis that all detainees admitted to the Bomana prison will be isolated at its designated isolation centre for 14 days prior to release into the general prison population,” Manning outlined.

Controller confirms 11th COVID-19 case for PNG

The latest confirmed patient, is a 26 year old female that resides in Port Moresby and is a close contact of Case 10.

The result was returned from the CPHL Laboratory in Port Moresby at 6:30pm on the 25th of June.

Deputy Controller, Dr Paison Dakulala reiterated that "people will not know that they have COVID-19, and may move around and most importantly being in an infectious state. This drives the importance of staying home when you have flu like symptoms, cough, body aches and fever.

10th COVID-19 case confirmed

This is PNG’s tenth case of COVID-19. She works at the PNG Defence Force at Murray Barracks but lives off-site in a shared accommodation. She was tested as part of the ongoing mass testing of the staff at the barracks following the announcement of the 9th patient on June 20. Her positive PCR test result was received today from the Queensland Health Laboratory in Brisbane, Australia.