Police Reservists

Morobe launches police reservist program

The program was launched at the Gusap Tactical Training School in Madang on Monday (June 28th).

With the slogan, ‘No child left behind’, the Morobe Provincial Government signed a memorandum of understanding with the Royal PNG Constabulary to train Grade 10 and 12 school-leavers in Morobe Province.

Under the Kundu Vision 2048, the provincial government supported the police reservist intervention program with K2 million to give the school leavers a second chance at improving their lives.

No more police reservists in Lae

This was directed by the Lae Metropolitan Superintendent Commander, Anthony Wagambie junior, who also noted that the reservists were only called on duty for the election period, and will cease police operations effective this week.

“As of this week Monday directives have been given that no National Police Reservists are to perform duties except those that are on MOU”.

He reiterated that, MOU Reservists in Lae belong to Romeo 14 which is a back- up Unit for the FootBeat Police, Unitech Reservists Unit, BSP Reservists, Trukai Reservists and Lae City Council Reservists.

VIDEO: Turi clarifies police uniform scandal

This comes following concerns raised by the public about disreputable actions being carried out by these Urban Safety officers. 

 

Imelda Wavik with more 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

​Agencies urged to allow reservists man elections

Personnel Management Secretary, John Kali, made the request in a circular issued at the start of the week.

In an advance notice given for agencies to plan ahead, Kali said reservists had been called to assist during the elections between June and July.

“I am therefore requesting that all agency heads look favourably upon requests from police reservists in their organisations to attend to the Police Commissioner’s call,” he said.

“As far as possible, police reservists should be released for the whole of the 2017 election period.

Reservists to be dealt with if involved in bashing

NCD Governor, Powes Parkop, said this after pictures of the female vendor with blood streaming down her face and arm went viral on social media.

Parkop said City Rangers would not be involved in the raid, as they do not operate at Waigani.

However, he is uncertain if any reserve police officers were involved.

“I’m not trying to dent away from criticism but the police that were involved, and the vehicle used by the perpetrators, that’s a vehicle that belongs to regular police.