Coronavirus

Color: 

Namah’s proposed visit to Rita Flynn welcomed

Manning was responding to comments by Namah claiming that the announcement on the first COVID-19 case in Vanimo is fake.

Manning said the patient in Vanimo was tested at the Sandaun Provincial Hospital through the geneXpert machine and the results were formally transmitted to the National Control Centre health technical team for announcement.

Dr Stella Jimmy, Director of Curative Health at the Sandaun Provincial Health Authority, confirmed that the patient was tested positive for COVID-19. She said the patient is being moved into an isolation facility.

62yo reportedly dies from COVID-19

The recent death was a 62-year-old male adult who had an underlying medical condition. He presented himself to the Port Moresby General Hospital for shortness of breath and pneumonia symptoms at 7pm on Wednesday night. He was tested positive for COVID-19 and died around 12.30am yesterday (August 6).

Within the last 48 hours, there were ten confirmed COVID-19 cases (including the deceased) bringing Papua New Guinea’s total cases to 163, said the Controller of the National Pandemic Response, David Manning.

Pacific’s first humanitarian air service flight lands in PNG

The first flight, from Nadi, Fiji, to Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, completed this morning, delivered three tonnes of essential medical supplies that will be used in the Government of Papua New Guinea’s response to COVID-19.

Over 30 new COVID-19 cases by Aug 5

The Controller of the National Pandemic Response, David Manning, said of those 39 new cases, two tested positive in Western Province, one in West Sepik Province and 37 in the National Capital District.

The Sandaun case is the first recorded in the province while Western Province has recorded its sixth and seventh case.

The West Sepik Provincial Health Authority yesterday confirmed that an adult male who had returned last fortnight from a training in Port Moresby was sick and tested positive in Vanimo on GeneXpert on Tuesday night.

Queensland to close borders to NSW and ACT

It comes as the state recorded one new case of coronavirus overnight.

The 68-year-old Queensland woman was diagnosed with the virus in the past 24 hours and authorities are still investigating the source of the infection.

Two historic cases have also been added to the state's total of 1,088 cases.

The hotspot declaration means anyone travelling from NSW or the nation's capital will soon be banned from entering the Sunshine State.

Queenslanders who return after travelling there will be sent to mandatory hotel quarantine for 14 days at their own expense.

One active COVID-19 case in Kiunga

This will be the fourth case in the province, with three others announced earlier on April 16th.

This was the latest report received from the National Control Centre (NCC) yesterday evening.

Another two persons from NCD are part of the three positive COVID-19 cases in the latest GeneXpert testing in the country.

Contact tracing for the Kiunga patient is continuing. The individual has been moved to the designated isolation area for close monitoring while contact tracing and screening of his immediate family and other close contacts is being carried out.

PNG COVID-19 cases at 111

On Monday evening, the National Pandemic Controller issued the latest data, which brings the total to 111.

It was reported that the new case is a 27-year-old male employed at the National Department of Health, the nation’s capital.

He is now in isolation at the Rita Flynn facility.

The statement read, the young man was tested during a targeted testing of the health staff following the confirmation of seven staff with COVID-19 at the department.

David Manning said the contract tracing for the health staff in the nation’s capital continues.

No link between Morobe’s cases

The Morobe Provincial Health Authority (MPHA) made this statement when confirming its recent third case.

On Sunday (August 2nd) afternoon, a 28-year-old male returned a positive result for COVID-19.

“The person has been contacted plus his family and employer notified,” said the MPHA.

“The person is currently in isolation. The Morobe PHA Rapid Response team commenced contact tracing on the 3rd of August and is notifying all the necessary people.”

Of its three cases, two are active.

Dozens test positive for COVID-19 on Norwegian cruise ship

Hundreds more passengers who travelled on the MS Roald Amundsen are in quarantine and awaiting test results, the company that owns the ship said.

The ship, which belongs to the Norwegian firm Hurtigruten, docked in the port of Tromso in northern Norway on Friday.

Hurtigruten has halted all leisure cruises because of the outbreak.

"This is a serious situation for everyone involved. We have not been good enough and we have made mistakes," Chief Executive Daniel Skjeldamsaid in a statement on Monday.

What’s more important: Defence funding or COVID-19?

“With 110 positive cases as of 2 August, and two recorded deaths, fears are growing that these numbers will continue to grow exponentially in the coming weeks.

“Most of the cases are concentrated in PNG’s largest and most populous city, Port Moresby, where the purpose-built COVID-19 complex has 72 beds. There are serious concerns that the city will not be able to handle more cases.