Coronavirus

Color: 

Health authority confirms Lae’s new case

The Morobe Provincial Health Authority confirmed that the 53-year-old woman works for a government agency in Lae.

She returned from overseas travel to Lae on the 17th of July.

“The person has been contacted as has her employer,” said the PHA.

“The Morobe PHA rapid response team is currently providing support to the new case, screening her close contacts and commencing contact tracing and support.”

The woman is among the 26 new cases reported on Sunday, August 9th.

Morobe’s COVID-19 Hospital set

The media was taken on a tour of the facilities on Friday, the 7th of August.

The media tour of the COVID-19 Hospital started at the Sir Ignatius Kilage volleyball complex, led by CEO of the Morobe Provincial Health Authority, Dr Kipas Binga, and chairman Dr Lincoln Menda. They were accompanied by acting Director for Public Health, Micah Yawing, and the Provincial Health Coordinator, Matt Moylan.

The first stop was a partitioned area where people with influenza-like illnesses are interviewed, including those wishing to get a COVID-19 clearance certificate.

Lihir mine confirms one positive case

Newcrest Mining Limited confirmed today that a 30-year-old male tested positive to the Coronavirus.

In a statement released this evening, the National Pandemic Response Deputy Controller Dr Paison Dakulala said he is a mine employee who flew back to work, from Port Moresby on 30th July.

He is one of 26 cases reported today.

This brings the total to 214 confirmed COVID-19 cases in PNG.

ARoB records first case

The National Pandemic Control Centre confirmed in a media statement that the patient is a 22-year-old student who travelled from Port Moresby to Buka recently.

Twenty five new COVID-19 cases were announced on Friday August 7th, 2020.

New domestic travel measures

The travel restrictions were announced after consultations with the airline industry and the Joint Agency Task Force Team in Port Moresby.

The National Pandemic Response Deputy Controller and Acting Health Secretary Dr Paison Dakulala said the restriction is necessary in containing the widespread transmission of coronavirus.

Screen NCD’s departing passengers: MPHA

The CEO of the Morobe Provincial Health Authority, Dr Kipas Binga, appeals for monitoring and surveillance systems to be implemented at the Jackson’s International Airport for passengers who are leaving the city.

Dr Binga said it is now evident that those infected in outside provinces were previously in the nation’s capital.

Pastem it was just assumptions that Moresby might be infecting us,” he stated. “Now it’s no longer an assumption. It has already been documented.

India becomes third country to pass two million cases

The country confirmed the last million cases in just 20 days, faster than the US or Brazil which have higher numbers.

Testing has been expanded considerably in India in recent weeks but the situation varies across states.

Spurred by a low death rate, the nation continues to reopen even as new hotspots drive the surge in cases. But some states have imposed restrictions.

The recent measures include local, intermittent lockdowns, sometimes limiting activity in specific cities or districts.

Namah’s proposed visit to Rita Flynn welcomed

Manning was responding to comments by Namah claiming that the announcement on the first COVID-19 case in Vanimo is fake.

Manning said the patient in Vanimo was tested at the Sandaun Provincial Hospital through the geneXpert machine and the results were formally transmitted to the National Control Centre health technical team for announcement.

Dr Stella Jimmy, Director of Curative Health at the Sandaun Provincial Health Authority, confirmed that the patient was tested positive for COVID-19. She said the patient is being moved into an isolation facility.

62yo reportedly dies from COVID-19

The recent death was a 62-year-old male adult who had an underlying medical condition. He presented himself to the Port Moresby General Hospital for shortness of breath and pneumonia symptoms at 7pm on Wednesday night. He was tested positive for COVID-19 and died around 12.30am yesterday (August 6).

Within the last 48 hours, there were ten confirmed COVID-19 cases (including the deceased) bringing Papua New Guinea’s total cases to 163, said the Controller of the National Pandemic Response, David Manning.

Pacific’s first humanitarian air service flight lands in PNG

The first flight, from Nadi, Fiji, to Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, completed this morning, delivered three tonnes of essential medical supplies that will be used in the Government of Papua New Guinea’s response to COVID-19.