WASH Services decreases diseases in Ngariawang

The WASH Program funded by Australian Government’s Water for Women fund was aimed to deliver improved health outcomes through inclusive and equitable water, sanitation and hygiene across Papua New Guinea.The Community Health Worker who runs the facility, Lawrence Yasaking, would usually dig out pits for disposal and burning of clinical wastes.

“Patients were using pit toilets until the toilets were accidentally burnt down due to bush fire, the health facility lacked proper toilets and patients started open defecating in the bushes and near the river”. Said Yasaking.

Safeguarding women’s health and hygiene

Through the PNG–Australia Partnership 23 participants including Kokoda Village Health Volunteers (VHVs), undertook the Seif Meri Mun (SMM) training which was conducted by the Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) in Kokoda.

Women and girls along the Kokoda Track region through the project were provided with a way to better manage menstruation with dignity and ensure women’s participation in education, training, and employment opportunities by supplying free reusable sanitary pads to women in remote communities.

Washing hands in cold water 'as good as hot'

The small study of 20 people found using water at 15C (59F) left hands as clean as water heated to 38C (100F) .

The report, in the Journal of Food Protection, suggests this could help cut electricity bills in restaurants.

NHS advice recommends that people wash their hands in either cold or warm water.

'Bug removal'

In this study, scientists at Rutgers University-New Brunswick wanted to find out if popular assumptions about the benefits of warm or hot water and official guidance on hot water - given to the food industry in the US - held true.

Hygiene complaints about takeaways and kaibars

Complaints have been received from many people that the Provincial Environmental Health Office and health inspectors are not conducting regular inspections.

The recent purchase from an Asian owned supermarket at Kapiura by a health worker revealed maggot infested flour which was cooked and caused food poisoning.

The public in Kimbe are calling for health inspectors to check all fast food outlets to ensure food preparation and cooking is done safely and according to the Health and Sanitation Act of the country.