assault

Chimbu man to stand trial

His son (19) and brother (29) will also stand trial after the Waigani District Court found sufficient evidence to commit their case for trial the National Court.

Magistrate Cosmas Bidar today made a ruling on their case after the lower court screened evidence produced by police.

They are expected to appear for listing on June 5.

Names in this article have been omitted due to the nature of allegations and the victim being a high school student.

Woman guilty of assaulting crew member

Brenda Cangah of Wara Kum, Hagen Central in the Western Highlands Province, was arrested on Oct 10 last year and charged with unlawful assault under section 6(3) of the Summary Offense Act.

Magistrate Laura Kuvi yesterday found Cangah, 33, (defendant) guilty of unlawfully assaulting Elisabeth David (complainant) after a trial was conducted.

Cangah will return to court next Thursday where submissions will be made on the appropriate sentence the court should impose on her. Her penalty sentence will be made known at a later date.

Sexual offenses within family unit increasing: PPC

Manus Acting Police Provincial Commander, Senior Inspector David Yapu, revealed this when raising his concerns over the increasing trend.

He is now appealing to the community leaders in the province to speak up about this immoral practise within the family unit following recent reported incidents of young girls being sexually assaulted by male members of their own families.

He is calling on families to work together with police to address these issues.

Australian man charged for assaulting, raping backpacker over 2 months

The 22-year-old woman was rescued on Sunday when the vehicle she was driving was pulled over in a routine traffic stop in rural Mitchell, approximately 350 miles west of state capital Brisbane, police said.

She was "visibly distressed" and had scratches and bruises on her neck and face, police added.

Police officers searched the vehicle she was in and the man, also 22, was found hiding in the back of the vehicle.

Manus MP furious over alleged assault of 10yo

He wants the accused perpetrator be made an example of.

The irate member is now demanding the removal of all those processed at the Manus centre before his people “rise up against them”.

“These are only the cases that are made public. There are many unreported.”

He says the refugee should be castrated.

“If it was my daughter, mi no nap ke lo kalabus!” (I will not care about going to jail.)

Abuse of process sees case dismissed

The court also raised issues on the abuse of police officers in arresting suspects without according their rights to silence.

The case stems from a fight that took place over a road block at the ATS settlement on Dec 23 last year which saw four men arrested and charged with the unlawful assault of a man.

Magistrate Laura Kuvi this week dismissed the case against 59-year-old Leo Pami from Komo, 27-year-old Koli Hangana from Koroba, 23-year-old Larry Wai and 23-year-old Samson Punga also from Komo Hela Province.

Man pleads guilty to assault over alcohol

Debaim Kewa appeared at the Boroko District Court this week after he was arrested and charged on Dec 15, 2016 for unlawfully assaulting a woman on Dec 13,2016 over alcohol.

Police allege that Kewa went to the complainant, Lina James around 5pm on Dec 13 last year while under the influence of alcohol and demanded he be given K50 so he can go and buy more alcohol.  The woman refused saying she had no money which prompted the attack.

In court for allegedly assaulting 9yo

The man appeared at the Waigani Committal Court on Wednesday where his two charges were read and explained to him.

He was arrested on Dec 23, 2016, and charged for sexually assaulting a nine-year-old girl at the ATS settlement.

It is alleged he sexually assaulted the girl on two different occasions. The assault started on Dec 5 when the girl’s parents went to the clinic.

His second attempt to violate the minor on Dec 7, 2016, failed when the mother of the victim caught him.

The perpetrator lived with the victim’s family.

Senior officer dispatched to probe assault on businessman

PNGDF Commander Gilbert Toropo confirmed this with Loop PNG this morning.

Toropo said he had just received the report this morning regarding the assault from senior people in Madang.

He said such behaviour from the PNGDF Navy is unaccepted and those involved will be dealt with.

He added that his directives are clear and that those involved and caused bodily harm to the businessman will be discharged from the force.

Singirok condemns PNGDF Navy officers’ actions

Singirok described the actions by the PNGDF Navy officers as shameful and coward in nature.

The prominent businessman Sai Bodo and his family were assaulted by the soldiers on their way home on Saturday night.

He said the brutal assault on a long time resident of Madang by men in white uniform brings more light to the inner rot and indiscipline in the ranks of the PNGDF.