Manus

Man in fishing gun incident passes away

The victim, Ngimuli Joel, aged 37 of Sone village, Baluan Island of Balopa LLG, was speared with a fishing gun on the left side of his abdomen, which penetrated out his right side.

Manus Provincial Police Commander, Chief Inspector David Yapu, said the incident occurred on December 28th during a homebrew brawl at Sone village, Baluan Island.

The victim was transported by boat to Lorengau General Hospital and underwent an operation to remove the spear.

First ever quiet celebrations: PPC

Provincial Police Commander, Chief inspector David Yapu, commended the Manus people for behaving well and taking heed of the Police awareness.

“We had the liquor ban imposed in the province from December 24 to January 1, 2020. And this also led to peaceful New Year celebrations in the province,” stated the PPC.

“From our statistics, in the past we know that alcohol contributes to various law and order issues and with the liquor ban imposed, it had greatly assisted us with peaceful new celebrations.

Sporting equipment for Manus youths

Although operating predominantly in Port Moresby and Lae, the PNG-APP this month extended its assistance to the Buyang village.

On 2 December 2019, PNG-APP Logistics Team Leader, Nigel Page, and Inspector David Thatcher, Public Safety, travelled to Manus Island. They were accompanied by NCD Metropolitan Commander Chief Superintendent, Perou N’Dranou, who is from Buyang village.

Investigation into Chinese shop blaze resumes

Police initial investigation into the fire on September 22nd, 2017, was not completed due to funding constraint.

However, this matter was raised by Manus Governor Charlie Benjamin on the floor of National Parliament on the outcome of police investigation into the incident, which Police Minister Bryan Kramer gave the assurance that police will reopen.

The investigation team is currently on ground with two AFP officers who will be assisting them.

Refugee to do hard labour for sexual offence

Acting Judge Sinclair Gora on Friday (Sept 27) sentenced Pakistan man, Mohammad Nasir Hussein, a refugee who has been in Manus for the past six years, to six years in jail.

The Lorengau National Court earlier convicted Hussein for the persistent sexual abuse of a victim aged 14 years old in Lorengau.

The Pakistan man had befriended the minor in 2017, and over a period of time was said to have assaulted the girl, which resulted in her parents placing a complaint with police, leading to his arrest.

Prison escapees on sex crimes recaptured

A total of five arrests were made for escapees from the Lorengau Correctional Service last week and charged for escape.

The lack of manpower, rundown facilities and overcrowding of prisoners are among many issues faced at this correctional institute, which needs the urgent attention of the CS management, even for a small province like Manus.

The following were recaptured last week:

Manus refugee centre finally closes

All contracts to service providers on the island have also been terminated as of September 1st.

Minister for Immigration and Border Security, Petrus Thomas, announced this, saying it is the most significant milestone to date in ending regional processing in Manus Province, with the termination of lead Australian Government service provider on 1 September 2019.

11yo in hospital after alleged pack rape

Manus Police picked up two suspected perpetrators, aged 28 and 31 respectively, from Korojih village, located in the South coast of Manus in the Pobuma LLG.

Provincial Police Commander, Chief Inspector David Yapu, said the incident took place on Saturday morning where the two men allegedly threatened the girl with a kitchen knife, tied a laplap around her face and took her into a nearby bush where they took turns sexually penetrating her.

More refugees leave PNG shores

Minister for Immigration and Border Security, Petrus Thomas, said resettlement is a key step in the lives of refugees and one of the three durable solutions which are promoted and recognized by the UNHCR.

Minister Petrus Thomas said the departure of this latest group was a significant milestone in delivering on the expectations of Prime Minister James Marape that the regional processing caseload be resolved quickly.

The departure of the nine individuals now sees a total of 269 refugees depart PNG for resettlement in the United States.

Suspect in EC office break-in apprehended

Manus provincial police commander (PPC), Chief Inspector David Yapu, said the suspect was picked up last Friday, July 5th, at the Ward 5 market in Lorengau, where he was later charged.

Frustrated at the incident of June 28th, PPC Yapu said this is the fourth time the PNG Electoral Commission office was broken into.

He said people must respect this office as they are ready to go out and deliver the LLG Elections for the people of Manus to elect their leaders for their ward level.