Pom Vipers suffer second defeat on home soil

Stop N Shop Port Moresby Vipers has suffered its second defeat on home soil in the Digicel Cup 2016 season.

They were defeated by Snax Lae Tigers 28-10 in front of over 2000 supporters at the National Football Stadium on Sunday.

Vipers were the first to score five minutes into the game through Raymond Tia 4-0 after a missed conversion from Quintan Ragi.

It was a physical game spiced with bone-crushing tackles that had the supporters on their feet, cheering their favourite team on.

Tigers fought back to score their first try of the season six minutes later through right winger Butler Morris, who dived in to score a corner try.

Tigers leveled the score 4-4 after Enoch Sine failed to convert the difficult corner kick.

Tigers beefed up attack as the pressure started to build. Bernard Lama came from behind to score for the visiting side 15 minutes into the game, followed by another unsuccessful conversion 8-4.

Tigers’ third try came from David Loko, extending their lead 12-4 after an unsuccessful conversion.

With just 12 minutes remaining till half-time, the home team scored its second try through Michael Yanis, adding four points to their score 12-8 after an unsuccessful conversion.

Tigers took the lead at half-time 12-8.

In the second half, a penalty was awarded to Vipers six minutes into the second half  12-10.

Tigers extended the lead two minutes later when halfback Mafu Kales dived over the scoreline to score 18-10 after a successful conversion from Charlie Simon.

Tigers were on fire and had a good defense and beefed up attack, scoring two more tries through Sydney Fred 24 minutes to full time and Sine in the 60th minute to take their score up 28-10 at full time.

In other results, Enga Mioks bounced back from their first round loss to Rabaul Gurias to register their first win of the season, defeating Simbu Lions 32-26.

Gulf Isapea drew with Waghi Tumbe 20-20 in Minj and Hela Wigmen lost to Goroka Lahanis 20-8.

Quintina Naime