appeal

BSP trial adjourned

The adjournment is to allow time for businessman and Madang Governor Peter Yama, to get proper legal advice and file his submissions on a counter-claim of K17 million by BSP against the Yama Group of Companies.

Yama filed the lawsuit in 2015, claiming the damage of K2.7 billion, after the Supreme Court on December 2014, ruled in favour of Smugglers Inn Ltd and the Yama Group of Companies, following a 13-year court battle with Bank South Pacific (formerly PNG Banking Corporation).

NCDC asks court to quash damage payment

Lawyer for NCDC, Peter Kuman, today asked the bench, made up of Justice Stephen Kassman, Justice John Logan and Justice Robert Lee Lindsay, to quash the National Court’s decision of 2 March 2016.

The National Court had previously ordered NCDC to pay Yama Security Services (YSS) Ltd a total of K17,871,510 in damages for breaching a contract, which was to have ended in 2002.

Today Kuman told the court that decision should be quashed because there was no evidence put by Yama Security Services of the loss it suffered then, as a result of the breach.

NCD Governor launches HB appeal

National Capital District Governor, Powes Parkop, launched the appeal today, saying: “By now, everyone in the city and around the country would have learnt of the tragedy that struck our big village of Hanuabada yesterday.

“On behalf of the residents of our city and as an expression of our sympathy and solidarity to the affected families, their relatives and our Motu and Koitabu people, I am launching this appeal.

“Donations can be brought to the City Hall now where my officers will be at the car park to receive and register your donations.

PM will appeal court decision

“Due to various inconsistencies with previous rulings and established precedents, we are disappointed with the decision that was handed down and will exercise our legal right of appeal to a higher court,” the Prime Minister said.

“We will continue to challenge these issues because the initial complaint was politically motivated and has serious implications for the transparency of legal process in our country.

“This matter was initiated by Belden Namah and pursued by Don Polye through their complaint for purely political gains.

No outcome on SBW appeal

Williams was appealing the four-match ban from the Lions series that rules him out of the first Bledisloe Cup clash against the Wallabies.

The All Blacks centre was handed the suspension for his second Test send-off against the British & Irish Lions earlier this month.

Williams became the first All Black in 50 years to be sent off in a Test when he was red-carded for a shoulder charge on Lions winger Anthony Watson early in the 24-21 loss in Wellington.

He missed the drawn third Test with the Lions, and the Blues' final Super Rugby match against the Sunwolves.

Appeal over Hagen RO appointment dismissed

This appeal was filed by James Yoka Ekip and Simon Sanagke.

According to Electoral Commission list of candidates, Ekip and Sanagke are two candidates vying for the Hagen Open seat this election.

The appeal is challenging the National Court’s decision in refusing leave to judicially review the decision of Electoral Commissioner, Patilias Gamato, in appointing Paul Goema and Andrew Kerowa, as the returning officer and assistant returning officer respectively.

Date set for pilots appeal

That appeal will go for hearing on June 27 at 9:30am at Waigani.

 Captains Joseph Kumasi, Boris Ageda, Vincent Tongia, Benjamin Lopa, Norman Daniel, and first officers Elijah Yuangi, David Seken and Abel Kanego are challenging their termination from Air Niugini last September.

The Supreme Court on March 23 granted interim relief to the pilots, which stayed their termination as well as eviction from Air Niugini’s accommodation.

Chief Justice Sir Salamo Injia allowed or granted leave for their appeal to be heard by the full court.

Look after our girls, Manus PPC appeals to parents

This follows another arrest of a refugee today over allegations of sexual assault.

PPC Yapu called on parents not to allow their daughters to come into town and be lured by refugee for money and other items.

He issued the call today after 28 year-old Muhammad Hussain of Pakistan was formally arrested for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl on Friday, March 3 at the Kohai Lodge, at Ward 2 in Lorengau town.

Yapu said the victim is only 10 yrs old what the refugee has done to her is unrespectable and a disgrace to the community and society.

Koim appeal against decision to dismiss review

The Judicial review was filed in 2014 over the disbanding of the Investigation Task Force Sweep team; a body that National Court ruled was created as a result of a policy decision. 

Koim filed the appeal on Jan 6, 2017 listing Prime Minister Peter O’Neill, the National Executive Council, Attorney General Ano Pala and the state as respondents.

Koim and the Prime Minister’s lawyers appeared before Chief Justice Sir Salamo Injia this morning for hearing, however that did not eventuate because the Prime Minister’s lawyers said they were not served the Notice of Motion.