Trial

Trial on Walia checkpoint killing commences

The case against Michael Apereo was transferred to Waigani from Mt Hagen. It commenced today before Justice Panuel Mogish.

Two witnesses were called by the State after the charges or indictment against Apereo was presented in court.

From Walia village in the Enga Province, Apereo is facing three counts of wilful murder.

On trial for electronic flex theft

Norman Ilikis of Turagunan village, Kokopo, East New Britain Province will appear for listing at the National Court on Feb 20.

Magistrate Mekeo Gauli last Monday (Jan 16) found sufficient evidence against the 34-year-old. His matter was committed today (Jan 23) after his Section 96 Statement went before the District Court.

Police officer arraigned in court

This same pistol was allegedly used in the K1.2 million robbery at the Tropic Air Terminal on Nov 3, 2016.

The 44-year-old Steven Numbos of Kragur village, Wewak, East Sepik Province appeared before Magistrate Alex Kalandi with his lawyer on Wednesday where his two charges were read and explained to him in court.

Arrested on Dec 30, 2016, he was charged with being in possession of ammunition without license and being in possession of a pistol without license under the Firearms Act.

Men on trial over drugs

Malibu Tu, 29, from Laiagam, Enga Province, 25-year-old Kelly Ango of Pamas Wabag, Enga Province and 23-year-old Nelson Albert of Tari, Hela Province appeared in court on Friday.

They were arrested and charged with being in possession of dangerous drugs, under Section 3(1)(d) of the Dangerous Drugs Act.

They pleaded not guilty to allegations they had 13 packs of marijuana rolls on them, on Jan 1, 2017 at Henoa Drive, Five-Mile. The packs have a street value at K1 each.

Warrant of arrest out for two Asylum seekers

Senior Magistrate Josephine Nidu issued the warrant of arrest for 26-year-old Mehdi Bohlouli and 28-year-old Mahbomb Rabbani Mohammad.

Both men were arrest on Jan 1, 2017 after they were picked up by police on New Year Eve at Salasia village near Lorengau.

They were charged with drunk and disorderly behaviour and resisting police arrest. They have been on bail of K200 each, however that bail has been forfeited.

Acting Provincial Police Commander Senior Inspector David Yapu said he has directed his officers to execute the warrants of arrest and have them locked up.

Decision on death of Enga man next month

Jeffery Pitu, Jacob Lais and Newman Upas, from Wapenamanda District, were in court on Friday where submissions were made to assist the court reach a verdict.

Their lawyer submitted that Matthew Masket died as a result of the impact of the car crash at the tunnel between Stop N Shop and the RSPCA clinic.

The lawyer said the State’s evidence against the three is circumstantial or indirect evidence, which does not show that they are responsible for Masket’s murder.

Yama seeks contempt charges against Electoral Commission

Yama is seeking contempt charges at the Waigani National Court against former Electoral Commissioner Andrew Trawen, the returning officer involved in the Madang Open by-election recount in 2014, Simon Sinai, and their lawyer Harvey Nii.

He is seeking contempt charges against Trawen, Sinai and Nii on allegations they misled the court with wrong information when the court was dealing with an election petition filed by Yama challenging the election of current Madang Open MP Nixon Duban.

Trial date fixed for Bawa’s case

Bawa will stand trial on Feb 6, 2017 where he will answer to allegations of abusing the authority of his office.

He appeared before Deputy Chief Justice Sir Gibbs Salika today where the date was set.

On Oct 17, the Waigani District Court committed Bawa for trial in the National Court after sufficient evidence was found against him.

From Kandep in Enga Province, he is facing allegations of stealing and abusing the authority of his office last year while he was the NCD Metropolitan Superintendent.

Cook on trial for sexual assault of boy

The man from Enga was committed by the Waigani District Court for trial this week after enough evidence was found in court against him.

He is expected to appear at the Waigani National Court on Nov 8 for listing where a date will be set for his trial once the appropriate court documents are fixed.

The alleged incident took place on May 9 this year at the barracks where the man worked as a cook in its mess and the boy lives with his parents.

Decision of ITFS disbanding next month

Justice Collin Makail on Thursday afternoon heard submissions from parties in the judicial review case; ITSF chairman Sam Koim who represented himself, lawyer representing Prime Minister Peter O’Neill, Mal Varitimos, NEC’s lawyer Tiffany Twivey-Nonggorr and Nicholas Tame, representing the Royal PNG Constabulary.

The ITFS team was disbanded in an NEC decision in 2014, however that has been stayed by the National Court pending the outcome of this Judicial Review proceeding that has been in court for the past two years.