The cause of the fire is not immediately known.
Witnesses said at around 7pm, the fire started because they saw flames on the building, spreading fast.
The fire appeared to have started in the middle of the building on the top level.
Firemen and the emergency workers arrived late but managed to stop the fire from spreading.
Most first year students residing there said they lost valuable items like certificates, laptops and text books.
More than 100 students live in that hall of residence.
More to come.