Sexual assault

R Kelly pleads not guilty to sexual assault

The new counts, unveiled last week in an indictment by a Cook County grand jury, involve alleged abuse of a victim between the ages of 13-16, according to documents posted on the Chicago Sun-Times' website.

The allegations centre on someone identified only as J.P., with no other details provided. The alleged crimes allegedly took place between May 2009 and January 2010.

Kelly, 52, could face up to 30 years in prison if convicted on the new charges.

Ellen DeGeneres opens up about sexual abuse

DeGeneres said the abuse took place when she was 15 or 16, after her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.

"He told me... he'd felt a lump in her breast and needed to feel my breasts," she told interviewer David Letterman.

DeGeneres first spoke about the abuse in 2005, but said she was now going into more detail "because I want other girls to not ever let someone do that".

Sexual assault of minors still a concern

The NCD metropolitan superintendent says plans are already in place for policing strategies for 2019.

Chief superintendent Perou N’Dranou says the Police Commissioner’s annual conference late last year has given them the mandate to enforce changes.

He highlighted that one of the concern areas for 2018 was the sexual assault of minors.

“We’ve been working on it,” he said. “We saw some improvements at the end of the year (2018) and we tend to work more on it.”

LA prosecutors drop sexual assault charge against Kevin Spacey

The Los Angeles County District Attorney's office said the alleged incident was outside California's statute of limitations.

Officials confirmed in April that an allegation involving Mr Spacey and an incident with a man in West Hollywood in 1992 was being investigated.

Another case concerning an alleged incident in 2016 remains under review.

A number of allegations of sexual misconduct have been made against the Oscar-winning actor since last November, when he was accused by actor Anthony Rapp of making a sexual advance in 1986.

Grandfather guilty of rape

Acting Judge David Susame convicted the man in Kokopo recently after a trial.

The incident took place when the girl was 15 years old. The man was the biological brother of the girl’s grandfather and was living with the family.

The court was told at 4 in the afternoon, on 30th June 2011, the accused met the girl outside of Anderson’s Supermarket where she was waiting to catch a PMV to Gelegele.

62yo sentenced for sexual assault

The man was 60 years old on 26 June 2016 when he sexually assaulted an 11-year-old girl in Lae, Morobe Province.

He committed the act in the kitchen of his family home.

He pleaded guilty to one count of sexual penetration at the Lae National Court and was sentenced to 10 years in hard labour.

Five years of that sentence were suspended due to his age.

He was on bail prior to being sentenced by the court. That bail was forfeited and he will now serve a remaining balance of five years in jail.

US Olympic team doctor sentenced to 175 years in prison

The disgraced long-time team doctor, Larry Nassar, apologised to his victims on Wednesday ahead of his sentencing for molesting young female gymnasts but a judge dismissed his words as insincere.

Following days of testimony from more than 160 of his victims, Nassar stood before the court in a dark blue jailhouse jumpsuit and addressed the dozens of women in the Michigan courtroom.

"Your words have had a significant emotional effect to myself and shaken me to my core ... an acceptable apology to all of you is impossible to write or say," he said.

Former Shortland Street actor sentenced to a year's home detention

The 47‑year‑old was sentenced in the Auckland District Court today.

In September last year, he pleaded guilty to six charges of indecent assault against six women in his acting classes.

Seventeen other charges were dropped including indecent assault and unlawful sexual connection.

His lawyer Ron Mansfield said the more serious charges had been dropped.

Judge Ronayne said Naufahu minimised his offending and shifted responsibility.

Sexual assault cases prevalent

A senior magistrate at the Waigani Committal Court, Cosmas Bidar raised the concern when arraigning a 20 year old youth who was recently arrested over the persistent sexual assault of a 6 year-old.

He said something is wrong in society and cases of such nature are becoming prevalent and the courts are seeing them every day.

He made this comments after reading the charges against a youth from Mul Buyer area in the Western Highlands Province.

Man guilty of assaulting 6yo

Justice Martin Ipang, in giving his verdict, said the medical report provided in court proved beyond reasonable doubt he committed the offence.

The child victim gave evidence in court, identifying the man and demonstrated what he did to her on 18 September 2015 in the family home in Port Moresby.

However, he had an alibi, saying he had friends over that day - listening to music, telling stories and cooking and could not have possibly assaulted the girl.