West New Britain Governor

WNB presents 2019 Budget to Treasurer

Governor Muthuvel made these remarks after presenting a budget of K245.37 million to Treasurer and Deputy Prime Minister, Charles Abel, in Port Moresby.

With the theme; ‘Promoting Rural Empowerment through Inclusive Opportunities’, Muthuvel said the 2019 Provincial Budget is the most fairly distributed in terms of addressing capacity and development needs in the 12 LLGs as identified and directly nominated by LLGs.

The K245.37m (K245,267,925m) Budget represents an increase of about 17.7 percent from the 2018 Provincial Budget figures.

Mobile squad boosts search for prison escapees

West New Britain Governor Sasindran Muthuvel confirmed that 39 prisoners escaped from Lakiemata on Oct 28.

Governor Muthuvel said the lack of logistics and manpower is slowing down the search.

He told this newsroom that with the additional manpower from the Mobile Squad 18, the search of the prisoners will be done quickly.

However, West New Britain Provincial Police Commander, Superintendent John Midi, is confident most, if not all the escapees, will be recaptured soon.

Muthuvel questions Govt on electoral boundaries

Minister for Inter-Government Relations, Kevin Isifu, said this when responding to questions raised by West New Britain Governor Sasindran Muthuvel in Parliament on Friday.

Biala LLG in WNB has a population of 60,000 people while Talasea district has close to 300,000 people; making service delivery a challenge.

Governor Muthuvel asked if the government was serious about the electoral boundaries separation and create additional districts.

Provincial govt commits to back Kimbe Cutters

Governor Muthuvel said they will also be approaching major companies in the province to support their bid.

The Governor added that Hunters Coach, Michael Marum, has accepted their invitation to attend and assist in the selection of players for the Kimber Cutters team when its hosts trial matches for players.

The province has held several competitions and trials as part of its bid for the rugby league team.

(Loop filepic of WNB rugby league teams)

WNB Governor confident with franchise team

Muthuvel, who was in the province to witness another staging of the Cutters’ last leg of the 9s tournament in Kimbe last weekend, said he is confident that the team will make it into the competition in 2019.

With the aim of selecting potential and talented players for the Kimbe Cutters team next year, the provincial leaders have put every effort into the bid.

Governor Muthuvel said their bid is also getting support from senior political leaders around the country, including Enga Governor Peter Ipatas.

Muthuvel calls for repealing of funding Act

The Act that was passed in 2009 and amended in 2012 to ban the 20t per bottle beer and 3t per cigarette has caused the provinces to lose over K2m internal revenue annually for past five years.

Muthuvel said this will empower the provincial governments to generate revenue and offload some burden of funding dependency on National Government.

Land titles a challenge for public institutions

Upon receiving the titles from the Lands Minister, West New Britain Governor, Sasindran Muthuvel, admitted that it has been a challenge in acquiring land titles for public institutions.  

As part of Minister Tkatchenko’s priority to make land for public or institutional purposes safe, he has signed off on four land titles securing the land portion in which a brand new Caritas Girls Technical School is being built in West New Britain Province

​No more delay for PNG Games: PM

He said there will be no more delays and the game will proceed as planned.

Prime Minister Peter O’Neill was responding to West New Britain Governor Sasindran Muthuvel, who was asking for government’s assistance in aiding sports men and women to West New Britain.

He said the game had already been postponed twice.

He added that the provincial government has already spent K20 million on infrastructure.

“Can the Government give some assurance that the games will still be played?”

KPHL becomes Gold sponsor for 7th PNG Games

The Games will be held from March 18 to April 1 and will bring together 21 provincial teams and 12,000 athletes and officials.

KPHL Managing Director, Wapu Sonk announced KPHL Boards endorsement of the Gold Sponsor package of K500, 000.

Sonk stated that as Papua New Guineas national Oil and Gas Company, its vision is to create value and opportunity for Papua New Guineans and this Gold sponsorship gesture is a demonstration of the company’s vision.

Governor cautions protest march organisers

Muthuvel told Loop PNG that he is aware of the planned and agreed to all the concerns raised but is cautious that proper procedures must be followed and that no business houses should be affected.

 “I cannot do a stunt myself. Appropriate authorities must be consulted and involved to be effective.

“These include police, labour, immigration and customs must be involved,” he said.

He calls on the organiser (Caspar Reure) to have an equal playing field in WNB.

Muthuvel said the Provincial Administrator Williamson Hosea had been also made aware of the protest.