Men can sue wives for maintenance for abandoning children

Secretary for Constitution and Law Reform Committee Dr Eric Kwa revealed this today.

He said CLRC has reviewed this law and made it gender balanced across the board.

According to CLRC Working Paper 23, three pieces of legislation to deal with maintenance in PNG.

A wife and children who have been deserted may claim maintenance in the District Court or the Local Court under the Deserted Wives and Children Act.

A spouse of a statutory marriage may claim maintenance in the National Court under the Matrimonial Causes Act.