He was concerned over the abuse of alcohol and illicit drugs in the country, and the impact it is having on societies, communities and families.
The two-day meet subsequently established a comprehensive National Alcohol Policy aimed at reducing alcohol and drug related harm in the society.
The policy booklet contains chapters on:
1. Basis for National Alcohol Policy,
2. Policy Context and Direction,
3. Policy Statement and Strategic Directions,
4. Implementation, Roles and Responsibilities,
5. Monitoring, Evaluation and Review.