Reece Walsh

Opportunity knocks a second time and Reece has the answer

Two years after a hamstring tweak in the captain's run robbed him of an Origin debut at the tender age of 18, Walsh is back at the summit and ready to grab his opportunity with both hands in next Wednesday's series opener in Adelaide.

Walsh was just seven games into his NRL career at the Warriors when he was drafted into the Maroons squad for Game 2 in 2021, with some questioning whether he was physically and mentally ready for the Origin furnace.

Broncos eye shock Cobbo switch as Walsh signing sparks great headache for Brisbane

Brisbane are keen on Maroons winger Cobbo getting his hands on the ball more next season, with a switch to No. 1 or No. 6 on the cards.

Cobbo burst into the NRL last year and has played 17 games on the wing and four in the centres, but the Broncos want this generational talent closer to the action.

Project Reece: Turning a gifted teen into an elite player

Walsh exploded onto the scene on Anzac Day last year, debuting for the Warriors at fullback and going on to produce a stellar rookie season which included nine tries, 11 try assists and 53 tackle breaks.

The footnote to Walsh's stratospheric rise was a fall from grace in October when he pleaded guilty to possessing cocaine and was placed on a good behaviour bond. He was also fined $5000 by the NRL and given a two-game suspension although he is permitted to play in the Warriors' pre-season trial against the Storm.

‘We’ll just sit back now’: Bennett responds to Walsh links; lifts lid on Dolphins recruitment strategy

Bennett told Fox Sports Warriors fullback Walsh had never been mentioned as part of the Dolphins list management plans and reiterated the club was in good shape in terms of the talent they’ve already signed for next season.

“I’m not sure where it’s come from but I can assure you he hasn’t even been mentioned,” Bennett said.

“We know nothing about it and we’ve had nothing to do with it.” Walsh is currently signed with the Warriors on a three-year deal until the end of 2024 but there is a player option in his favour for the final season of the deal.

Warriors star eyeing shock return as Queensland clubs circle

Currently based in Redcliffe this season due to Covid restrictions, Walsh could remain in the sunshine state after 2022 according to The Daily Telegraph.

The 19-year-old is yet to seek an official release but multiple sources have said the prized fullback is feeling “uneasy” at the Warriors and it is inevitable that Walsh and his family will return to a Queensland club.

Walsh, Munster, Smith, Lewis issued breach notices

Walsh is facing a $5000 fine and two-match suspension while Smith, Munster and Lewis have had one-game bans and fines varying in accordance with their salary proposed.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said the players in question had let everyone down with their alleged actions.

"I understand that players have endured a long season under strict protocols. However, there is no excuse for the behaviour we have seen over the past week. The players have let themselves, their clubs and the rugby league community down," he said in a statement.

‘Solely on me’: Walsh in tears as Warriors star admits to possession of drugs, sent for counselling

It came as vision of the arrest surfaced on social media, with onlookers watching on.

Queensland Police confirmed that at 12.15am on Sunday morning police officers from Surfers Paradise ordered a move on direction to a 19-year-old male.