PNG Defence Force

Agencies instructed to provide land acquisition reports

Portion 406 in Manumanu was acquired at a cost of K46m by Kumul Consolidated Holdings (KCH) for the PNG Defence Force barracks relocation.

Cabinet made a decision in 2012 to relocate these Defence facilities to a suitable site.

O’Neill said the reports will assist with investigations by the Commission of Inquiry (COI), the Police Fraud Squad and the Ombudsman Commission.

The COI will be established to examine the allegations involved in the Manumanu land deal against senior ministers and senior members of departments.

Sir Michael calls for PNGDF call out in disaster times

Sir Michael in a supplementary question directed to Prime Minister Peter O’Neill said PNGDF expertise must be used whenever natural disaster strikes anywhere in the country.

 O’Neill in response said, that was the norm but will direct the National Disaster Office to do more consultation with PNGDF to use their expertise when needed.

Picture by Kennedy Bani. 

PNG Loop's 5 @ 5

UPNG's new intakes for 2017

http://www.looppng.com/png-news/upngs-new-intakes-2017-49580

Loop PNG aims to help parents and guardians all over Papua New Guinea to quickly find out which tertiary institution their children are accepted into.

PNGDF investigations into NY rampage underway

PNGDF to enforce ‘one strike and you are out’ policy

 PNGDF Chief of Staff, Colonel Ray Numa, responded to Prime Minister Peter O’Neill’s directive, saying they have initiated the policy last year and will implement it once they get down to the facts.

Colonel Numa further explained that soldiers who have recently passed from the Goldie Training Depot have a two-year probationary period.

If they breach the Code of Military Discipline, the One Strike and You are Out Policy will be enforced directly on them.

PNGDF captain’s wife reveals story behind rampage

The wife of the PNG Defence Force captain, who was allegedly stopped at the police roadblock at New Year’s Eve, claims a group of police officers blocked them off and assaulted her husband.

The woman, who did not want to be named for security reasons, said there were four adults in the vehicle that night with an 11-month-old baby.

They had finished from a small celebration at the captain’s house and were on their way to drop off the other couple and their baby at Murray Barracks.

There was a slight drizzle when they drove out of the barracks.

Commander Toropo commends soldiers for achieving milestones

PNGDF Commander Gilbert Toropo said this in his address during the Commanders End of Year Parade.

Toropo commend all his men of their work towards achieving the forces’ main aims and vision for 2016 despite it being a challenging and tough year.

He thanked and acknowledged those who have contributed immensely to the success of 2016 and for ensuring that priorities for 2016 were kept up to date and on track.

Court Martial adjourned again

The matter returned before Deputy Defence Force Judge, Justice Allan David this morning however it was adjourned to give State lawyers and the PNGDF more time to complete relevant court files.

Counsel representing the State and PNGDF Captain David Kuvi told the court they are yet to conduct record of interview with four of the 11 officers who were charged for Mutiny and misconduct on an operational service under the Defence Force Act.

He indicated that most of the witness statements  the State will be relying on have been collected.

Court allows bail for Komo soldiers

Deputy Defence Force judge, Justice Allan David granted the 11 applicants bail today on the ground  that the Military Police holding facility’s cells were unfit to continue holding the 11 men.

The decision comes today after a bail application was moved on Saturday (Jan 9).

Basing the decision on humanitarian ground,  Justice Allan David was satisfied with the officer’s lawyers’ application that the cell block was inhuman and unfit for human occupation.

The 11 officers have been kept at the nine-man Military Police holding facility since Dec 28, 2015.

Troops court martialed

The platoon including their Commanding officer Major Benjamin Edimani all appeared before Justice Panuel Mogish for directions.

A verbal application was made by the Defense Force who was assisted by the Public Prosecutors to have the 11 men transferred to Bomana.

Big changes in Defence Force in 2016

Toropo says that next year will see the army deal with the major uniform and procurement issue.

The uniform issue has been a concern within the PNG Defence Force  for a while,  however a  tender advisement has already gone out to establish an integrated supply system.

Toropo explains that this is so the uniform and field equipment issue is addressed .

Meantime, another area that will be focused on is the Joint Services College concept which will also recommence in 2016.