PNG Defence Force (PNGDF)

PM Commends Toropo For Service

Prime Minister Marape attended the Commissioning ceremony yesterday, Tuesday December 28, at Murray Barracks to witness the appointment of Major General Mark Goina as the new PNGDF Commander.

As part of his address, he thanked Major General Toropo for is commendable service to the force.

Outgoing retired Major General Gilbert Toropo served many years in the force and for the past seven years was the Commander. During his term as Commander, he managed to accomplish the game changing tasks that were required of him.

Drunkards beat teen, raze home

Among this group of eight men were three soldiers from the PNG Defence Force Goldie Barracks.

The incident occurred late yesterday afternoon.

Residents living at this settlement block met with members of the hierarchy at Goldie Barracks today to explain what had occurred.

The man, whose house was burnt down, is a serving member of the PNG Defence Force also.

His teenaged son was accused of theft and beaten up.

He and his family were assured by the Goldie Barracks hierarchy that an investigation will take place.

Defence Super Fund fixes Negative Contributions

This is an outcome following close collaboration with the respective payroll agencies of the Department of Finance, Department of Defence, and the PNG Defence Force.

CTSL CEO, Charlie Gilichibi, said ‘negative contributions’ is a long-standing industry issue that needs to be brought into alignment with legislative and regulatory compliance and putting in place controls to address operational risks.

A ‘negative contribution’ is used to adjust a previously overpaid contribution amount paid to a super fund by an employer on behalf of an employee.

Two PNGDF personnel detained over killing

The suspects will be handed over to the Boroko Criminal Investigation Division.

In a joint press conference this afternoon, Police Commissioner David Manning said they are working with the PNGDF to ensure justice is served.

“Let me stress this point, this was an isolated incident. An unfortunate and unnecessary one as it is,” said Manning.

“What happened yesterday was only through the Grace of God and through the effective leadership in both organisations that allowed us to mitigate the potential for this to escalate any further than what we saw yesterday.

PNGDF personnel boost border surveillance

From the PNGDF headquarters, the Rotary Wing detachment arrived in Kiunga yesterday in two helicopters.

“We’re inserting troops into Obo and Suki. It’s part of our normal support to our four settlements in the border province,” stated Major Douglas Vavar. “But it’s also part of the state of emergency operations. These are our efforts towards the whole-of-nation fight against COVID-19.

PNGDF to deploy platoon to Wutung Border

The Defence Force Personnel will be deployed over the weekend increasing the current manpower on the ground.

Police Minister Bryan Kramer announced this today in an update on the Governments COVID-219 Response.

First 100 soldiers leave for Aust

Prime Minister James Marape farewelled the troops along with Government and Australian High Commission officials.

The soldiers from the Engineering Battalion of the 1st Royal Pacific Island Regiment (1PIR) and a small liaison and support staff make up the 17th Kumul Force.

They will be deployed for three months to carry out routine clearance tasks of roads and bridges blocked by fallen trees so firefighters could get to affected areas in rural communities.

Army clarifies operations

The NCD Metropolitan Superintendent, Perou N’Dranou, and the Operations commander, Colonel Boniface Aruma, were both present to address the media.

Colonel Aruma also took the opportunity to dispel any misunderstanding or panic caused by the operations.

He outlined that this exercise was in line with the normal Military Rehearsal Exercises that were run as part of their lead-up APEC operations.

110 PNGDF personnel deployed

This was outlined by the PNGDF Chief-of-Staff, Philip Polewara, who says the men are tasked with the intent to help restore law and order in the tension-filled area.

Polewara also clarified that the reinforcement from Tari will be sent back to their area of operations once the troops have been settled in.

He said the defence troops were pulled in on Friday to provide additional coverage after a directive was issued by the defence minister.

Following this morning's deployment, the Tari unit will be retracted to safeguard their posts.

Child allegedly killed by soldiers

Reports say the child was trying to cross the road when the vehicle hit her, killing her instantly.

While police are still investigating the matter, the soldier who was driving the vehicle is yet to be arrested and charged.

It is believed the soldiers are from the Supply Company of the Force Support Battalion of Murray Barracks, currently engaged to assist with relief efforts in the earthquake stricken areas.