Lae Metropolitan Superintendent

Police to probe origin of grenade

The hand grenade was removed from a suspect’s pocket after they were apprehended on Saturday night.

“The grenade is not used by police; it’s used by the military and investigations will definitely continue to find out the source of that grenade,” said Lae metropolitan superintendent, Chris Kunyanban.

Settlers fight over land, two killed

The fight stemmed from a land grabbing incident between two settlers at Five-Mile.

Lae Metropolitan Superintendent, Chris Kunyanban, said the Five-Mile ethnic clash started on Sunday when a Wabag man attempted to grab an area within a rice field that had already been claimed by a Goroka man.

Whilst arguing, the Wabag took his knife and slashed another Goroka man. The 31-year-old died instantly. 

Lae leaders urged to assist police

Lae Metropolitan Superintendent, Chris Kunyanban, issued this appeal in his New Year message.

The Lae metropolitan command will begin its New Year operations starting at 6pm this evening and ending at 6am on January 1st, 2021.

They will be visiting every suburb and especially the settlements to ensure residents peacefully welcome the New Year.

Considering their limited logistics and manpower, Kunyanban is calling on the community to help them.

Lae police urge stakeholder cooperation

The more people that move into the cities, more pressure is put on the limited police resources.

Petty crimes have always been a problem in urban centres. Lae Metropolitan Superintendent, Chris Kunyanban, said for PNG’s second largest city, one police officer is serving 450 people.

The high influx of people coming into the city places a great strain on police manpower and logistics.

Lae police wound gang member

The suspect was part of a seven-man group that scaled the fence of a service station in an attempt to raid staff housing at the back. This was on Saturday, 22nd of February, at about 1am.

A security guard who tried to disturb the suspects was threatened with homemade guns and in fear of being shot, took cover, at the same time raising the alarm.

Lae police report that fortunately, one of the females in the staff residential compound had saved the Police Emergency Toll Free number and immediately called Police.

Another suspect in doctor’s killing apprehended

In a statement, Lae metropolitan superintendent, Chief Superintendent Anthony Wagambie Jnr, said David Naia, also known as ‘Flat het’, of Morobe and Manus parentage, was apprehended yesterday at Wewak Wharf.

“He had been wounded by Wewak Police two weeks ago at Koikin after taking part in a robbery,” said Wagambie Jnr.

“It has been reported that one of his gang members was shot dead and another suspect along with David were wounded.

Digicel PNG commits to back Lae police

Since its launch in May of last year, the toll free number 7090 3300 received 5,000 calls from sexual assaults, armed robberies, to expectant mothers going into labour in remote locations and seeking assistance.

Lae Metropolitan Superintendent, Anthony Wagambie Jr, said the Toll Free number has assisted them in a big way to fight crime in the city.

"We cannot express our appreciation enough to Digicel for this vital phone service. This phone number has changed the way we serve the community to keep them safe and respond when required.

Robbery suspects gunned down

The suspects had been involved in an armed robbery of an Asian shop owner at Downtown Lae around 9am yesterday (April 2).

The suspects were intercepted by a traffic police unit when they tried to escape in a Sedan.

The unit was in the area and was alerted by gun shots fired by the suspects, who wounded the Chinese national and a security guard.

Lae metropolitan superintendent, Commander Anthony Wagambie Junior, said the traffic police promptly contacted all units, who then blocked off possible escape routes.

Shop owner injures robbery suspect

The man and two other suspects were apprehended by the Lae police and will be facing charges related to the armed robbery.

The wounded suspect was identified as a man from Yangoru, East Sepik, while the other two are from Morobe Province.

They are all from the Miles area in Lae.

The Lae metropolitan superintendent, commander Anthony Wagambie Jnr, said the three men were part of at least a ten-man gang armed with machetes and home-made guns.

The group had attempted to rob the shop but they did not anticipate that the owner would have a pistol.

Suspects in journo’s assault charged

Lae metropolitan superintendent, Commander Anthony Wagambie Jnr, confirmed today that the journalist had laid complaints for unlawful assault by these men.

The men, who are attached with the office of Governor for Morobe, were arrested and charged on two counts: one each for assault and one each for drunk and disorderly behaviour.

Wagambie Jnr stated that the incident occurred at Erap. Police were alerted via a phone call and quickly responded, escorting both parties back to the police station.