France

Abducted, Yemen, France, Isabelle Prime, Kidnapped, Francois Hollande

Isabelle Prime, 31, had been working in Yemen for the World Bank for about a year when she was kidnapped.

Smiling and wearing a blue cap and sunglasses, Prime stepped out of a French government jet around 1710 GMT and was met by French President Francois Hollande and Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, as well as several friends and family members.

Malaysia, France differ on Malaysia Airlines Flight part, frustrating relatives

Malaysia's prime minister announced that a plane wing section that washed up on the French island of Reunion in the Indian Ocean was "conclusively confirmed" to be from Flight 370, saying he hoped the news would end "unspeakable" uncertainty for relatives of the 239 people aboard. 

The announcement was in line with the Malaysian conclusion that the plane crashed in the Indian Ocean, killing all aboard.

Suspected Flight 370 wing flap being taken to French site

French authorities have imposed extraordinary secrecy over the 2-meter (6-foot) long piece of wing, putting it under police protection in the hours before it left the island of Reunion en route to the French military site.

Reporters were being kept outside the facility, where French aviation experts will try to establish whether wreckage was part of the Boeing 777 which disappeared March 8, 2014, with 239 people on board.

Wing fragment wrapped and ready for French investigators

Several uniformed officers loaded a large wooden crate into a van that drove with a police escort from the main wing of the Roland Garros airport to a separate hangar.

French authorities have imposed extraordinary secrecy over the 2 meter (6-foot) long piece of wing.

If from the Malaysia Airlines jet missing for 16 months, the wreckage could have drifted thousands of kilometers (miles) across the Indian Ocean to this French island off the east coast of Africa.

   

3 French arrested in IS-inspired plan to attack base

The prosecutor's statement said the suspects, who were arrested Monday but have not yet been charged, told investigators they planned a late December or early January attack on the Mediterranean military post Fort Bear, where the 23-year-old Djebril A., a former Marine, once worked. 

The two others, identified as Ismael K., 17, and Antoine F., 19, said the plan was to decapitate the base chief — a plot that Djebril denied.

The three met online and communicated through an encrypted program.

France says terror plot against military bases foiled

The suspects, aged between 16 and 23, were arrested Monday at four separate locations around France, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said.

Cazeneuve said the group's leader had been under surveillance after his online activities raised investigators' suspicions. He had also triggered alarms by signaling his desire to travel to Syria, Cazeneuve said. One of the suspects was a former member of the French navy, Cazeneuve said.

200 detonators, explosives stolen from French military site

The thefts at the Miramas site, which is operated by a combination of military services west of Marseille, appeared to have occurred overnight from Sunday to Monday. The break-in comes as France has strengthened its security measures after two deadly attacks by extremists this year.

Marseille prosecutor Brice Robin said an investigation has started on charges of "theft with break-in carried out by a criminal group" and "fraudulent entry into a military compound."

Embassy warns Americans in France to be vigilant

The embassy released a statement Friday night urging Americans to report suspicious activities and stay away from any security incidents.

It also noted that French authorities have increased the terrorism alert level in recent months since attacks in January in Paris left 17 victims and three Islamic attackers dead, so there are more troops and police in the streets than in previous years.

And French prosecutors say the suspect who they believe attacked a U.S. gas plant in France is a local truck driver who was known to workers at the Air Products plant.

VIDEO: EU foreign policy chief on French and Tunisian attacks

She said the attacks could only unite Europe and the Arab world not divide them, and that a united response would be needed.

THE LATEST: All workers accounted for after attack, says factory management

Air Products says all its employees are accounted for after an attack on a factory in southeastern France. It has not confirmed whether its staff were among the two people reported injured and one dead. The company says in a statement that all employees have been evacuated from the site, which is secure.

It says "our crisis and emergency response teams have been activated and are working closely with all relevant authorities."