deaths

Woman, 18, among six dead from COVID-19 in Fiji

The government also confirmed six more deaths including an 18-year-old woman.

That compares with 752 cases and seven deaths in the previous 24-hour period.

Health Secretary Doctor James Fong said of the latest cases, 193 are from the Western Division and 489 cases from the Central Division.

Dr Fong said the latest victims died on 5 and 6 August, with three deaths in the Central Division and three in the Western Division.

He said all but two of the patients were not vaccinated.

752 new COVID-19 cases, 7 more deaths recorded in Fiji

The government also confirmed seven more deaths, taking the toll to 290.

Health secretary Dr James Fong said the patients had died between July 10th and August 5.

All but one of them were not vaccinated.

Cause of death queried

The Morobe Provincial Health Authority CEO, Dr Kipas Binga, gave this response after he was asked about the procedure used to identify COVID-19 deaths.

Citizens are still skeptical with the methods used to identify a death as COVID-19 related.

Many have voiced concern that though their loved ones passed away from other medical conditions, the cause of death was listed as COVID-19.

Dr Binga was asked to clarify the matter during a media conference in Lae on Monday afternoon following concerns that a death from Butibam was wrongly identified as COVID-19.

Tragic New Year deaths

The deaths, described by NCD Metropolitan Superintendent Perou N’Dranou as ‘criminal intent gone wrong’, occurred in the early hours of this morning.

Police received a call at around 2am regarding an alleged robbery by a group of over 10 men at a shop at Gordon’s market.

Chief Superintendent N’Dranou said it was “either a robbery or break-and-enter that went wrong.”

In the downpour, the men hastily escaped over the roof of a neighbouring shop called ‘Local Fastfood’ but unfortunately, one of their members’ midriff got lacerated in the process.

Second Durham rugby player dies in Sri Lanka

Thomas Howard, 25, and Thomas Baty, 26, had been touring the country with Durham-based Clems Pirates RFC when they visited the club in Colombo.

Mr Howard, from Durham, died after being admitted to hospital on Sunday.

Mr Baty, also from Durham, who had been critically ill in the same hospital, has also now died.

Durham City Rugby Football Club, which oversees the team, confirmed Mr Howard died after "suffering breathing problems".

More than 30 dead in South Korea hospital fire

The fire started around 7:30 am local time at the rear of the emergency room on the first floor of Sejong Hospital and it was mostly extinguished after a few hours, Choi Man-woo, the head of Miryang city's fire station, told a televised media briefing.

Firefighters were still in the process of evacuating around roughly 200 people from the main hospital building and nursing home directly behind the hospital, Choi said.

At of the time of the briefing, Choi said 10 people had been critically injured and 35 slightly injured.

Over 5 deaths in less than a week: Homicide

The police homicide unit revealed that while two out of four female victims, including the late journalist’s case, had some hiccups, they were re-opened last week with the post mortem of journalist Rosalyn Albaniel Evara (October 25).  

That same day, another woman died on the spot at Manu Autoport at approximately 9am. This was around the same time the body of 23-year-old Tabu Airi, who went missing for four days, was discovered at the Treasury building at Waigani.

Drink responsibly: Police

Police boss Ben Turi says in the past weeks, there have been numerous reported deaths which were indirect results of the victims either being drunk and in the wrong place or being attacked by drunk suspects.

Turi is calling on Port Moresby residents to drink responsibly this election period. While there is nothing wrong in having a few drinks, people must know their limits and not get themselves into unnecessary risks.

“Law and order and safety must be the prerogative of everybody and not just the police,” Turi reiterates.

​Police report string of deaths in Pom

Metropolitan Superintendent, Ben Turi, said since last Thursday, 10 deaths have been reported to police.

Details of the deaths vary as all eight men and two women were killed at different times and at different locations in the city.

Apart from two people killed in an election-related incident at Vadavada last weekend, other deaths were related to domestic arguments and ethnic clashes.

Dump truck crushes utility killing two

The accident happened today, around midday behind Sir Hubert Murray Stadium at Konedobu in Port Moresby.

According to eye witnesses, the dump truck belonging to POM Stones was fully loaded with sand and was travelling downhill from Lawes Road.

The driver sensing mechanical faults started sounding the horn as a warning, alerting the drivers of other vehicles in front of him to give way.

Before crashing into the vehicle which the victims were in, the dump truck, hit two cars- a taxi  and another car. Luckily, passengers of the two cars escaped unharmed.