Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

NCD curfew lifted

This was among a number of changes which became effective as of October 3 when the Controller revoked the previous measures and reissued 12 new measures.

Effective October 3:

Dr Esorom apologises for naming wrong school

Dr Esorom said yesterday the student was in isolation at the Rita Flynn Isolation Centre however, he has retracted that statement.

He confirmed the student is from the Port Moresby International School while the teacher is from the St Joseph’s International Catholic College.

“I sincerely apologise for the wrong information naming Port Moresby Grammar School as having a student testing positive. I apologise also for causing stress and anxiety amongst students, teachers and parents.

Morobe COVID-19 update

The Morobe Provincial Health Authority has reported that over the past two weeks, all samples that have been sent for testing have returned negative. This means those tested do not have coronavirus.

“Although coronavirus has been detected in Morobe Province, it is important to remember that most people who contract the illness will only experience mild symptoms and they will get better,” stated the MPHA.

“Take care of our friends and families who catch coronavirus; they need our support.”

(A mobile health clinic at the Wampar LLG, Morobe Province)

No new cases reported on Aug 24

However, there are 1,552 samples for COVID-19 at the laboratories waiting to be tested and results to be made known.

NCD still records the highest number of confirmed cases.

Meanwhile, the National Department of Health is developing specific guidelines on how to manage COVID-19 in pregnant women. This follows the confirmation of a 25-year-old pregnant woman with COVID-19 on Sunday. She was one of the 3 cases reported on that day.

No COVID-19 vaccine trial approved: Minister

“I have fielded questions over the last couple of days about trials being carried out in Papua New Guinea,” said Health and HIV/AIDS Minister, Jelta Wong.

“Firstly, let me say that any trial that could potentially be rolled out in Papua New Guinea must first be tabled and scrutinised by the Medical Research Advisory Committee (MRAC) through the National Department of Health. 

Over 50 new COVID-19 cases announced

Out of these cases, 38 are from Western Province while the rest is from the National Capital District.

“The new cases are linked to community transmission in NCD and a cluster of cases at the Ok Tedi mine,” said Pandemic Response Controller, David Manning.

Of the total cases, 221 are from NCD, 85 from Western Province, 5 from Morobe, 1 from West Sepik, 1 from Southern Highlands, 1 from New Ireland, 5 from Central, 2 from East New Britain, 1 from Eastern Highlands and 1 from the Autonomous Region of Bougainville.

Health authority confirms Lae’s new case

The Morobe Provincial Health Authority confirmed that the 53-year-old woman works for a government agency in Lae.

She returned from overseas travel to Lae on the 17th of July.

“The person has been contacted as has her employer,” said the PHA.

“The Morobe PHA rapid response team is currently providing support to the new case, screening her close contacts and commencing contact tracing and support.”

The woman is among the 26 new cases reported on Sunday, August 9th.

Screen NCD’s departing passengers: MPHA

The CEO of the Morobe Provincial Health Authority, Dr Kipas Binga, appeals for monitoring and surveillance systems to be implemented at the Jackson’s International Airport for passengers who are leaving the city.

Dr Binga said it is now evident that those infected in outside provinces were previously in the nation’s capital.

Pastem it was just assumptions that Moresby might be infecting us,” he stated. “Now it’s no longer an assumption. It has already been documented.

62yo reportedly dies from COVID-19

The recent death was a 62-year-old male adult who had an underlying medical condition. He presented himself to the Port Moresby General Hospital for shortness of breath and pneumonia symptoms at 7pm on Wednesday night. He was tested positive for COVID-19 and died around 12.30am yesterday (August 6).

Within the last 48 hours, there were ten confirmed COVID-19 cases (including the deceased) bringing Papua New Guinea’s total cases to 163, said the Controller of the National Pandemic Response, David Manning.

Over 30 new COVID-19 cases by Aug 5

The Controller of the National Pandemic Response, David Manning, said of those 39 new cases, two tested positive in Western Province, one in West Sepik Province and 37 in the National Capital District.

The Sandaun case is the first recorded in the province while Western Province has recorded its sixth and seventh case.

The West Sepik Provincial Health Authority yesterday confirmed that an adult male who had returned last fortnight from a training in Port Moresby was sick and tested positive in Vanimo on GeneXpert on Tuesday night.