barcelona

Barcelona attack: Suspects 'planned to hit key monuments'

Mohamed Houli Chemlal is one of four surviving suspects who gave evidence.

He and Driss Oukabir have both been charged with membership of a terrorist organisation and murder.

Salah al-Karib has been detained pending further investigations, while Mohammed Aallaa was released on bail.

According to Houli Chemlal, the group's plans - which he had known of "for at least two months - were scaled back when a house packed with bomb-making equipment blew up the day before.

He was injured in the accidental blast that reduced the house to rubble in the town of Alcanar.

Neymar and Messi troll Pique

On Tuesday, the Catalan giants released a statement announcing they were suing the Brazilian for what they allege to be a breach of contract following his €222million switch to Paris Saint-Germain.

Barca are hoping to recoup the sum paid to Neymar after he renewed his contract in October last year, as well as seeking €8.5m in "damages" and a further 10 per cent due to "delayed payment".

Barcelona attack: Van driver shot dead by police

Police believe he was the driver of a van which careered down the Las Ramblas avenue, killing 13 and injuring more than 100 others.

He was killed some 25 miles (40km) west of Barcelona near a sewage treatment works following a tip off.

Abouyaaqoub, wearing a fake explosive belt, is reported to have shouted "Allahu Akbar" ("God is Greatest").

An extensive manhunt was already under way when police closed in on the Subirats area, close to Sant Sadurní d'Anoia.

A petrol station employee spotted Abouyaaqoub and called the police who found him hiding in vineyards.

Barca dedicate shirts to victims

The club has announced it will use the space traditionally reserved for player names to display the world 'Barcelona' to commemorate those who lost their lives.

The '#TotsSomBarcelona' hashtag, which translates as 'We Are All Barcelona', will also be emblazoned across the front of the famous first-team shirt for their league opener at Camp Nou.

Thirteen people died and more than 100 were injured when a van drove into pedestrians on the crowded Las Ramblas street, an incident that local police are treating as an act of terrorism.

Barcelona: 13 killed as van rams crowds in Las Ramblas

The vehicle sped along the pedestrian area, mowing down people and sending others fleeing for cover.

Police are treating it as a terrorist attack.

The head of the Catalan region said two people had been arrested.

Spanish media are reporting another suspect died in a shootout. El Mundo newspaper said the shootout happened in Sant Just Lesvern, on the outskirts of the city.

Police have released a photo of a man named as Driss Oubakir, who is alleged to have rented the van used to drive into pedestrians.

Neymar Sr slams Barca 'blackmail'

Following the Brazil international's world-record €222m move to Paris Saint-Germain, Barca confirmed they will not pay the loyalty bonus to the player and his father after accusing the younger Neymar of breaching his contract with the club.

It was reported the 25-year-old's father and agent held up the deal in order to trigger a loyalty payment that would be owed after July 31, as part of the new contract the player signed with Barca last October.

Neymar poised for record $354 million transfer

World football superstar Neymar has told his club FC Barcelona that he plans to leave, with a blockbuster move to Paris Saint-Germain seemingly imminent.

Barcelona responded shortly after his announcement on Wednesday with a statement saying the Brazil striker's €222 million (NZ$354m) release clause must be paid in full, a scenario which until recently seemed beyond the reach of any rival.

Juventus 1 Barcelona 2

Linked with a move to Paris Saint-Germain, Neymar only needed 45 minutes at MetLife Stadium to once again show what he is capable of.

The Brazil international scored a first-half brace, a neat finish followed by a spectacular individual goal in New Jersey.

Neymar dribbled past five Juve markers before finishing for his second goal as Barca dominated in Ernesto Valverde's first game in charge.

Lionel Messi was also typically impressive, but he had to play second fiddle to Neymar before Barca played a different XI in the second half.

Neymar delighted with Messi extension

As expected, Messi, 30, re-signed with the LaLiga giants on Wednesday, putting pen to paper on a deal until 2021.

Neymar was thrilled with the Argentina international's extension, which puts Messi on track to finish his career at Barca.

"I'm very happy to have the best in the world with us," he said.

"It's complicated to think about football without him."

Under a new coach in Ernesto Valverde, Barca are preparing for what is sure to be another title battle with rivals Real Madrid in 2017-18.

Barcelona and Real Madrid step up chase for Ceballos

Ceballos has become hot property since the end of the 2016-17 campaign after starring for Spain in the European Under-21 Championship in Poland.

The Clasico rivals have both been linked with a move for the 20-year-old and have officially approached Betis regarding a transfer.

Ceballos has kept silent on his future and Haro expects the youngster to remain with the club despite interest from the Blaugrana and Los Blancos.