Gurias too strong for Wigmen

The Agmark Rabaul Gurias proved to be too strong for the Kroton Hela Wigmen this afternoon at the National Football Stadium in Port Moresby.

The Gurias registered a 26-12 victory in the Digicel Cup round 13 match today.

The win came at a cost for the Gurias, who suffered a number of injuries at the hands of the aggressive Wigmen.

The round 13 Digicel Cup clash was a curtain raiser for the Hunters’ round 16 encounter against the Sunshine Coast Falcons.

3 minutes into the match and the Gurias recorded 6 points, thanks to Philemon Taim and Solomon Pokare.

4 minutes later, a long pass from Gurias’ Brian Gispe saw Francis Takai sidestep Wigmen defenders and cross the line for the second try of the match.

The score was 10-nil until the Wigmen captain, Melvin Paul, lost the ball at their 20-metre mark.

Konnie Bernard capitalized on his rivals’ error, weaving past defenders for another try for the Rabaul team.

It was after the Gurias’ third try that the first casualty of the match, David Punion, had to be taken off the field.

In the dying seconds of the first half, the Wigmen registered their first try through Ham Tina, who was just fresh off the bench.

The buzzer sounded as Stanley Olo successfully converted for the Wigmen, leaving the score at 14-6.

A return from second half did not see an improvement as ball handling errors kept occurring on both sides of the field.

4 minutes into second half and again, the Gurias were the first to score through a flying Ilias Stanley. The try was successfully converted by Terry Wapi.

Not to be outdone, Stanley Olo slid past Gurias defenders to register the second try for the Wigmen. He then converted the try himself for an 18-12 score.

59 minutes into the game and the Wigmen’s Raymond Tia executed a dangerous tackle on Gurias captain, Edward Goma, who had to be taken off the field.

Tia was sinbinned for 10 minutes, and the crowd booed him off the field.

Another dropped ball from the Wigmen saw Brian Gispe make a dash for the line.

A successful Solomon Pokare conversion left the score at 24-12.

With 25 seconds left on the clock, Pokare scored another penalty goal, but not before Olo was put on report over a verbal infringement with the referee.

Meantime, the man of match was awarded to the Guria’s Pokare.


Carmella Gware