Brandon Smith set to go to market as star’s manager urges clubs to ‘submit their best offer’

There is a multimillion-dollar bidding war is about to kick off for the services of Kiwi Test hooker and Melbourne Storm star Brandon Smith.

With the countdown to November 1 only one week away, rival clubs are sharpening their pencils to make a play to land the signature of one of the NRL’s most versatile forwards.

Smith’s agent Stan Martin intends to email all 16 NRL clubs on Monday directing them to submit their best offer for the Melbourne Storm forward.

And Smith’s post-season one match suspension and $15,000 fine for the white powder video has done nothing to dissuade rival clubs from lining up to sign the Storm star.

Melbourne Storm chairman Matt Tripp has gone on record repeatedly stating there is no way Storm will be letting Smith go without a fight.

As of November 1 it appears the gloves will be well and truly off with a host of clubs including the powerful Sydney Roosters, Gold Coast Titans and possibly even the NRL’s 17th team the Dolphins poised to submit their best offers.

“We’ve said all along we’ll be waiting until November 1 when clubs can officially table contract offers and then making our next move from there,” Martin told Fox Sports.

“I’ll be sending out an email to all clubs on Monday letting them know that if they’re still interested then it’s time to submit their best offer for Brandon.

“We’ll soon separate the wheat from the chaff. It’s no longer about expressions of interest.”

The Sydney Roosters originally made contact about Smith midway through this year and are set to pursue trying to bring the Kiwi Test forward to Moore Park for the 2023 season.

Smith is close with Sydney Roosters enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves from their time representing New Zealand.

And you can bet the Roosters won’t be the only club trying to make a pitch to sign the tough-as-nails forward with the Gold Coast Titans also tipped to enter the equation.

The Storm tabled a three-year offer believed to be worth around the $2.2 million mark earlier this year but rival clubs are expected to up the ante.

Storm chairman Tripp is well aware of the impending bidding war but remains hopeful one of the NRL’s benchmark clubs can retain Smith.

“We’re well aware of the fact the gloves are going to be coming off next week but we’re also hopeful what Melbourne Storm can offer in terms of being at a successful NRL club will mean we can be competitive,” Tripp told Fox Sports.

Smith is currently signed until the end of next year with Storm.

 

Story first published on Foxsports Australia

Link to original story

Author: 
James Hooper, Fox Sports Australia