Trial begin for late Bebego’s accused murderer

A trial has begun at the Waigani National Court against the man who was arrested and charged over the brutal murder of former diplomat, the late Dennis Taylor Bebego, on July 5, 2014.

Billy Sapsi Pokea of Suma village, Mendi, Southern Highlands Province, was committed by the District Court on May 19, 2015 to stand trial.

That trial commenced this morning at 10am after his charge was formally read to him.

He pleaded not guilty to the charge of murder which prompted the commencement of the trial.

The trial was deferred since November last year due to Pokea’s preference of legal representation.

The State intends to call five witnesses in the trial. These include employees of the department of foreign affairs, the doctor who conducted the autopsy, Police forensic photographer and the arresting officer.

The Bush knife that was allegedly used in the murder, photographs of the scene, autopsy report and other affidavits were tendered in court by the state to assist in the trial.

It is the state's allegation that Pokea murdered Dennis Taylor Bebego, a former diplomat and senior director at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade office, on July 5, 2014.

The late Bebego was from Gona village in Northern Province.

It is alleged the late Bebego was slashed to death in his office by Pokea, a long-serving public servant who knew Bebego very well.

The incident allegedly took place between 11:30-12 midday.  Earlier that day, it is said that Pokea was caught by Bebego watching pornography that morning and told he was going to get a "red passport" to Mendi, implying termination.

Furious at his boss' response, Pokea left the office, only to return with a new tramontina bush knife.

He made his way into the late Bebego's office, locked the door and allegedly slashed him to death.

The late Bebego suffered fatal slashes to his head, right arm and leg, and stab wounds when found by other colleagues in his office. He died from loss of blood after struggles with Pokea behind closed doors.

Other employees were not able to stop Pokea because the door was locked.

He fled the scene and was apprehended on 10 July 2014 at the Port Moresby General hospital car park.

The trial continues.






Sally Pokiton