Staff accommodation catches fire

Duffy’s staff accommodation at Gordon's, Port Moresby, caught fire around 7pm yesterday.

A TVWAN reporter was at the scene to take amateur footage that showed the first few minutes of the fire service responding to the blaze.

At the scene, a staff residing at the Duffy accommodation said the fire had started at about 7.30pm, just minutes before the news team arrived at the scene.

More than 40 employees had lived there.

Female staff residents were taken to safety when the fire spread.

According to staff, the fire started in the manager’s quarters, who was said to have been away when the fire started and had only arrived minutes after the fire fighters.

The Duffy fire comes just days after several stores at the Tabari shopping centre at Boroko were razed to the ground.

Authorities are yet to establish how the fire started.


Photo courtesy of TVWAN 

Annette Kora