This is according to the daily crimes summary provided by the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police and Chief of Operations.
The 16 crimes include:
- Two killings
- One robbery
- Six motor vehicle robberies
- One stealing (motor vehicle)
- Two fraud cases
- Three grievous bodily harm, and
- One abduction
Two crimes were reported in Morobe Province while 14 were in the National Capital District.
Brief statements of crimes reported nationwide:
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Four armed hold-ups/stolen motor vehicle. A suspect was apprehended and detained in the police cells for attempted holdups. Complainant Linus Popola Osaba reported that he was driving to Erima from Murray Barracks to drop off his family where 10-11 suspects armed with pistol held him up with his family at the Erima Circle Street. Police unit from Town who were on patrol arrived and caught one of the suspects.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Armed hold-up/stolen motor vehicle. A retired senior police officer was held up by two unknown suspects at the Waterfront in Port Moresby and his vehicle stolen. The vehicle, a white double cab tinted Hilux, registration number BFG 794, is still at large. No arrest made and investigation is continuing.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Armed hold-up/stolen motor vehicle. A person by the name of Mark Fiocco was held up at Chester Street by 10 unknown suspects using guns and bush knives. The criminals stole his motor vehicle – a Honda CRV Station Wagon blue in colour bearing registration number BCY 681, one Huawei phone and K500 cash. No formal arrest made and investigation is continuing.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Armed hold-up/stolen motor vehicle. A male adult was held up at the Gerehu Market by six suspects armed with a factory made pistol who stole his motor vehicle – a Ford Ranger double cab, Ute, white in colour registration number BEE 740. The victim, Lawrence Kilagi, was waiting for his two sons who were buying betelnut at the market when he was held up. The suspects were seen driving towards Gerehu Stage 6. The vehicle is still at large and police investigation is continuing.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Armed robbery. A suspect, Peter Paul from Goilala was apprehended and detained at the Gerehu Police Cells for allegedly robbing a female victim off a mobile phone and K200 cash. The victim was confronted at the Water Mart along Baruni by two suspects armed with a small knife. Suspects escaped on foot. A police unit attended to the complaint and apprehended one of the suspects.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Fraud/stealing by false pretence. Complainant Xue Ribing from Fujian Province in China residing at the Stanley Hotel reported that the suspect Huing Rui also from China, who resides in Wewak, received K1.2 million from him by false pretence to purchase a property at Wewak. The deal was not completed as agreed and the money was allegedly misused by the suspect. No arrest made and police investigation is continuing.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Selling land portion 2157, Bushwara Settlement - Leo Kipoga of Meremanda village, Ambum district in Enga Province, was arrested and charged for one count of false pretence under section 404 (1) (a) of the PNGCCA, chapter 262. The complainant, Johannes Hapa, reported that the suspect sold a plot of land belonging to him to another person. Police investigation is continuing.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Abduction/sexual penetration-Pending. Complainant (name withheld) reported that his daughter was missing since 05th May, 2018, when she went to school at Badihagwa Secondary. Her whereabouts are unknown. Police are investigating.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Stolen motor vehicle - Complainant Mark Betuels reported that he parked his office car at the Sports Inn carpark where it was stolen allegedly by someone using a duplicate key. The stolen motor vehicle is a white Toyota Land Cruiser open back bearing registration number BFB 869 and owned by the PNG Forest Authority. The vehicle has not been found. Police investigation continues.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Killing - Simon Sarea, 38, from Popo village in the Gulf Province, was pronounced dead at the Port Moresby General Hospital after he was allegedly bashed up by unknown suspects. Complainant George Ikui reported that the deceased, believed to be residing at Korobosea, was rushed to the Port Moresby General Hospital Accidents and Emergency by members of the public. The matter was reported to police and investigation is continuing. No arrest made.
- NCD/Central Command – Port Moresby: Stealing. Complainant Karo Tapus alleged that suspect Raymond Paul, allegedly stole K3,300 cash from him, including his safety boots valued at K200 and a Samsung mobile phone touch screen valued at K250. He alleged that the theft occurred whilst he was drunk and sleeping in front of a relative’s tucker shop in Morata in the National Capital District. Matter reported. Police investigation is continuing.
- Northern Command – Morobe Province - The following major crimes of one armed robbery and one wilful murder were reported in Morobe.
All other centres nationwide reported nil major incidents from 15-16 January.