Parker guilty of manslaughter

Owner of Golden Valley Enterprise Justin Parker has been found guilty of unlawfully assaulting Lapan Nason on June 6, 2015, that led to his death.

The Waigani National Court today convicted Parker for manslaughter, the lesser homicide charge after he stood trial for the charge of wilful murder.

Parker remains on bail at the discretion of the court and is expected back in court on July 3. 

Meanwhile, he will undergo interview with the Community Based Correction officers who will then write a pre-sentence report for him to assist the court decide on his sentence.

Submissions on his penalty sentence will be done on July 3.

The court was satisfied he unlawfully assaulted Nason between 4am and 6am of 6 June 2015 because he failed to turn up for work the previous day, which was an important day for Parker.

Lapan was hired as the Chief Engineer of Parker’s company to assist him with a helicopter he had purchased overseas. On 5 June 2015, CASA was to inspect and certify the helicopter for use. Nason was not there for the inspection.

The court was told during the trial that Nason had not been performing well at work because he was not being paid.

He was verbally fired by Parker that morning at 4am before the assault took place. 

Parker told the court he acted in self-defence after Nason punched him. The court did not believe his evidence because there was no evidence of injuries on him after the assault.

After the assault, Parker left and went back to his home and watched TV while Nason’s daughter called around to her father’s friends to assist them that morning. 

Parker told the court during the trial that he offered to take him to the hospital but Nason’s daughter refused.

The trial judge today said he offered to take him to the hospital after realising he caused more injuries to Nason than he anticipated and there was no need to seek permission from the daughter to take him to a hospital.

The court heard during the trial that after the assault, Hagai, the security guard who also witnessed the events that unfolded that night, was asked by Nason’s daughter to go find a taxi. Instead he went to see Parker.

Hagai was earlier told by Parker to remove the tires of Nason’s vehicle outside the house before he assaulted Nason. He was also arrested and charged in relation to the offence, but his case was dismissed by the Committal Court.

(Justin Parker walking out of the court presinct after the decison on verdict today. Loop PNG Picture by Kennedy Bani.)

Related articles:

Trial against Parker commences -

Parker murder trial continues -

Evidence in Parker trial closed -


Sally Pokiton