The adjournment was given this morning by member of the tribunal, after Namah’s lawyer Greg Sheppard and the Public Prosecutor Pondros Kaluwin said they were not formally given the notice.
Apart from media reports being run on the announcement of the tribunal on September 28, parties told Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Terrence Higgins, that they are yet to receive the notice of that appointment.
An adjournment to Wednesday was given for the tribunal clerk to serve notice of the referral by the Public Prosecutor, dated November 8, 2016, as well as the statement of reasons for the appointment.
This is the tribunal appointment that was announced on September 28 by Acting Chief Justice, Sir Gibbs Salika.
The appointment follows a request made by the Kaluwin in his letter to the Chief Justice on November 8, 2016.
The allegations against Namah relate to various matters, including late annual returns to the Ombudsman Commission, the leader’s failure to lodge financial returns to the office of the Integrity of Political Parties and Candidates Commission, misappropriation of public funds, failing to pay his personal debts and for storming into the court room of the Supreme Court and demanding the arrest of the Chief Justice, Sir Salamo Injia, and assault of court staff in the court room.
The new tribunal will be chaired by Justice Terrence Higgins and Senior Magistrates Patricia Tivese and Alex Kalandi.
(Loop PNG file picture of Namah and his lawyers last year)