Despite four previous bail applications made and refused in the National Court (two applications) and Supreme Court (two applications), the court was satisfied this time around that circumstances had changed since the last bail application was moved, thus bail was allowed.
Kange’s case in the District court was committed for trial on March 28 after it found there was enough for him to stand trial.
However when that decision was made for committal, statements from the late Regina Morove’s cousin sister and her boyfriend, dated June 1, 2016 were not taken into consideration by the magistrate as it was not put before the court.
They were the only eye witness from that night of May 14, 2016, when Regina was allegedly shot by Kange at the family residence.
The court was told today that from the letter dated June 1, 2016, the two witnesses who now reside in Australia withdrew their statements in the murder case saying they do not wish to further participate in it.
The court was further told that the cousin of the late Morove requested for the statements to be withdrawn because the shooting was accidental and she is now more concerned about the wellbeing of her nephew now that her sister is gone.
And that the best person to take care of her nephew would be the father.
They also said they don’t have time to fly to and from the country to attend the case and asked if the matter can be settled out of court.
The court was of the view that this was a change of circumstance and granted bail at K5,000. Kange has been ordered to report to the Crimes Court registry every Monday, not travel out of NCD without leave of the court and is not to interfere with State witnesses in PNG and Australia.
He will return for mention in the National Court on May 15.
Kange was arrested on June 2 last year and charged over the alleged murder of his wife, the late Regina Morove, at his family home at Garden Hills on the night of May 14, 2016.
It is alleged he shot the victim through the mouth with a pistol that night.