AFP Assistant Commissioner Jamie Straus outlined during the 1st RPNGC 2022 National Election Security Conference today that they will continue to support the RPNGC through the PNG-Australia Partnership.
“I have been briefed on the unique challenges presented by the National Election and the crucial role the Constabulary will perform to support the National Elections,” said Commissioner Strauss.
Commissioner Strauss outlined that the AFP will support the RPNG in;
- Deployment of specialist advisors to the RPNGC Election Planning team.
- Deployment of specialist advisors to support Divisional Commands in election preparedness.
- Administrative and technical support to the Reservist recruitment program to assist RPNGC force readiness.
- Financial and Technical assistance in support of Satellite communication.
- Training support through the Bomana Centre of Excellence, in the areas of command, control and coordination
- Technical and training support to the development of body worn camera capability across strategic location
- Financial and logistics support for RPNGC security conference
Straus said Police-Police support is an essential element of policing in the Pacific, as demonstrated recently with the deployment of police personnel from Australia and Papua New Guinea to assist Solomon Islands Police during the unrest.