But at the end of the day, it comes down to both the driver and passenger to exercise caution when out on the road.
Loop PNG brings to you a few safety tips from the office of the Director, Traffic Operations, NCD, Joseph K Joe:
- On your way home, if you notice you’re being followed by another vehicle, don’t stop…continue on
- If you see any suspicious person standing or sitting in front or on either sides of your gate, don't stop… continue on
- If you see a suspicious vehicle parked at your gate or to the side, don't stop…continue on
- Always follow your instinct. If you think something is not right at your gate, drive by first and just observe, before driving in
- If you have someone at home, call and inform them to open the gate for you
- Avoid hot spot areas in the city where possible suspects of car theft frequent
- There are workshops in town that install tracking devices which car owners can track and immobilise their vehicle by using their mobile phones…it will help in time of need
Director Joe also warns that vehicles most targeted by criminals are CRV, Lexus and Harrier, with tinted glasses.
(Loop file pic)