Customers to Sizzler’s Family Restaurant at Gateway hotel over the weekend and early this week have complained of food poisoning after eating there.
Natasha Tamanabae is one victim.
She ate at Sizzler’s restaurant on Sunday May 14 and then again on Monday. Tamanabae claims to have fallen ill with diarrhoea and vomiting soon after.
She was admitted to Paradise Private Hospital for a day where she was hooked on four bags of glucose. She has been released since but still bed ridden. Her two cousins are also very ill.
Tamanabae said many others also came into the hospital ill, claiming to have eaten at the same restaurant.
The hospital is yet to confirm the number of food poison patients treated.
The restaurant’s management confirmed to have received reports when Loop PNG reached out.
In an official media release late yesterday, management of Gateway Hotel & Apartments said to have engaged the health department, and are in ongoing communication with medical centres and a number of its suppliers, to work together in identifying the possible cause.
“The management of Gateway Hotel & Apartments are aware of recent reports of a foodborne illness which have affected some of our customers.
“While we regret any discomfort that this may have caused our loyal customers, we’d also like to thank them for continuing to provide information, assisting us in our investigation as we work together to resolve this matter promptly,” it stated.
A further update will be given once the investigation has been completed by the health department.