UOG students call for investigation

The Enga students at the University of Goroka have called on the Government to investigate what was described as “a sudden attack on four Highlands provincial groups”.

The incident led to the hospitalisation of 46 students on Tuesday.

More than 300 students who arrived in the Enga capital of Wabag on Wednesday night in three hired buses said students from Enga, Hela, Jiwaka, WHP and SHP were attacked without any good reason by their Eastern Highlands and Chimbu colleagues.

The students said the attackers were allegedly assisted by locals with dangerous weapons, including fire-arms, bush knives, spears and arrows.

Their spokesman, Lawrence Anton, who is also UOG SRC representative to the University Council, said a minor incident involving a handful of students from WHP and EHP on Tuesday morning was resolved amicably after breakfast.

However, the students were shocked to see locals coming 30 minutes later into the campus and going on “an attacking spree”.

Lawrence said that particular incident had nothing to do with the ongoing boycotting of classes spearheaded by fellow students, mainly from UPNG.

“What happened at UOG was an isolated issue. It was started by a handful of drunken students who did not agree on some personal issues. It had nothing to do with the ongoing boycotting of classes,” he said.

Lawrence said it was fair that an investigation was carried out to establish why outsiders crossed over the university boundary to attack students over a trivial matter.

The 300-plus students from Enga had to leave without going back to their living quarters to get their personal effects in fear of their lives.

“We want an investigation into the sudden attack and bring those involved to justice,” he said.

Lawrence said they will return to class anytime when the university council calls them after restoring normalcy on campus.


Picture: Enga UOG students leaders - Lawrence Anton (UOG SRC Council representative) and Mark Kapa (UOG SRC vice-president) standing in front of the Ipatas centre yesterday after a meeting with Enga Provincial Government authorities.






Philip Kepson