Three die after eating poisonous fish

Three people have died while another three are still in hospital after eating a poisonous fish species.

A PNG Loop reader  Christopher Kila sent in pictures of the three deceased and alleged that three more are in critical condition after eating fish from Yule Island sea during the New Year's weekend.

Kila says that relatives believed that the six ate a Balloon  of Puffer fish, which is very poisonous.

He alleges  that the fish  wasn't cleaned properly before cooking.

A close relative to the deceased , Mary Joycelyn Aisi confirmed  the deaths over the weekend but was sketchy with details into the apparent poisoning.

Central police commander Laimo Asi says that he has sent a team to look into the case but would not give any more details.

Julianna Waeda