South Korea reports its first 2 deaths from MERS virus

South Korea on Tuesday confirmed the country's first two deaths from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome as it fights to contain the spread of a virus that has killed hundreds of people in the Middle East.

South Korea has reported 24 cases of the disease since diagnosing the country's first MERS illness last month in a man who had traveled to Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries.

Most of South Korea's cases have had connections to the first patient - either medical staff who treated him or patients who stayed near him at the hospital before he was diagnosed and isolated, and their family members.

Tests on a 58-year-old woman who died of acute respiratory failure Monday showed she had been infected with the disease before her death, the Health Ministry said in a statement.

A 71-year-old man who tested positive for the virus last week also died, it said.

The statement said both stayed at the same hospital with the first patient.

Health officials said Tuesday that about 750 people in South Korea were isolated at their homes or in state-run facilities after having contact with patients infected with the virus.

They said the number could rise and that depending on their conditions many of the isolated could be banned from leaving the country.

More than 50 schools and kindergartens near a hospital near Seoul where the 58-year-old patient who died was treated have canceled classes from Wednesday to Friday to let children stay home, according to the education agency in Gyeonggi province, which surrounds Seoul.

The measure was taken after many parents asked the schools to take action, agency officials said.