Six-Mile settlers ask for relocation land

Settlers along the Dogura road at Six-Mile, Port Moresby, today issued a plea to the government to assist them by allocating some land for their relocation.

Since Monday, contractors moved into the area to demolish houses after notices were given out in January this year. The first notice was issued by NCDC in December last year. This is for the Six-Mile to Bautama four-lane road construction.

The demolition exercise is taking place to clear the 20m corridor that is road reserved land.

Speaking to the media today, community leader Japhet Notai, on behalf of his community, asked for assistance from NCDC to provide them an alternative area to resettle. 

Notai, who claims to have lived in the area since 1982, said they will not stop the road works but for relocation land or at least some form of payment to assist them rebuild their homes elsewhere.

 “We don’t know where to go now. Three generations have grown up in this area and I don’t know where to relocate my family to now,” he said.

About 30 houses have been demolished since the exercise started on Monday, say other locals in the area at Dogura St.

Matai Japhet, who built a permanent home in 2011, said: “I have no choice now, government said to move so I am removing my house. I don’t know where I will go from here.

“We are not against the government in development but we just want them to recognise us and help us relocate to an area. We are Papua New Guineans, if they put themselves in our shoes they would know how we feel.

“We are tax payers too. We understand, its development but we only request for the government of the day to recognise, assist us and find a relocation area,” Japhet added.

Author: 
Sally Pokiton