PNGRFL pay tribute to Lloyd Robson

The PNG Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) has paid tribute to the late Lloyd Robson.

PNGRFL CEO, Bob Cutmore in a condolence message said to Robson’s son, Paul that it was a pleasure knowing Lloyd Robson and his impact on the greatest game of all.

“I still have vision of your dad in Tee shirt and shorts do his thing so that the game was always well presented.

“His involvement as trainer for the PNG Pacific Cup teams and his willingness to just get the job done for the betterment of those involved has left a lasting legacy,” said Cutmore.

Lloyd Robson aged 75 passed away peacefully last week at the Tweed Hospital in New South Wales.

The late Lloyd Robson had been ill with a number of issues and spent the past two months in hospital. 

The international rugby league venue carried the name of the Banora Point man in tribute to his voluntary work in establishing the field to world standards.

Lloyd Robson was a plumber by trade and arrived in Port Moresby in 1964 to take up a job with the Commonwealth Department of Works. When PNG gained independence in 1975, Lloyd took up a position as works supervisor with the Port Moresby City Council, now the National Capital District Commission.

The Lloyd Robson oval was dedicated in 1980 recognising 15 years of service by the rugby league player and coach.

He directed all his spare time to ground improvements since his arrival, upgrading the surface, providing the water reticulation for irrigation of the field and the construction of two extra grandstands. And he carried out general maintenance to the ground all at his own cost.

He said at the time it was a ‘fantastic’ feeling watching sportsmen compete on the oval named in his honour.

“I have watched, Englishmen, New Zealanders, Frenchmen and Australians play there and makes me feel very proud,” said Robson.

Lloyd’s voluntary work was an extension to his enjoyment of rugby league, a game he played in his hometown of Murwillumbah.

On his arrival in Port Moresby, he joined the Hanuabada Hawks rugby league club and represented Port Moresby and Papua teams.

The second rower retired in 1970 and coached his beloved Hawks where he won premierships with the reserve and A Grade sides.

He became president of the Port Moresby rugby league in 1981 and held that position until the family returned in 1984.

The old Lloyd Robson oval was demolished and replaced by the new National Football Stadium. However the main grandstand has been named the “Lloyd Robson grandstand” in honour of his commitment and dedication to the game of rugby league in particular with the Papuan Rugby League and Hanuabada Hawks.   

He is survived by children Paul, Scott, Joanne and Brett, grandchildren Siala, Kelera, Marlie, Lennox and Laveli ,sister Heather and loving Lavinia.

A funeral service was held today at Melaleuca Station Memorial Gardens in New South Wales.

Troy Taule