Court dismisses Parker’s bail application

The National Court has dismissed an application for bail pending the committal proceedings of a wilful murder charge against businessman Justin Parker.

Parker, 43, from Minj in Jiwaka Province, appeared at the Waigani Committal court last Friday (June 12).

He is charged for the wilful murder of his chief aircraft engineer 54 year old Lapan Nason from New Ireland Province on June 6 at Gorobe Street, Badili.

Nason was admitted to the Port Moresby General Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit on June 6 and died two days later from his injuries. 

Parker was arrested and charged by police on June 11 and remains in custody at the Boroko Police Station cell.

His lawyer Ian Molloy went before the court yesterday seeking bail for Parker on grounds that his continuous detention in the cells could affect his business and that he was the breadwinner for his family. 

This application however was refused by the court on the ground that his lawyers failed to provide before the court a case law of previous successful bail applications on the same charge of wilful murder.

Justice George Manuhu in his ruling said the accused attacked Mr Nason when he was unable to defend himself.

Before the attack, Mr Nason was involved in a motor vehicle accident and was paralysed from his right knee and hip joint.

Justice Manuhu said the accused lived in the same residential area as Mr Nason and he returned home drunk on June 6 about 4am and  ordered security guards to remove tyres from Mr Nason’s personal vehicle.

He went into the house, scolding Mr Nason for not doing his job properly and pulled him to the veranda where he began kicking and punching him until he fell unconscious while his daughter watched on.

Justice Manuhu said the accused’s action did not justify his bail application and even if he was released, the daughter of the deceased who is the main witness could still be intimidated.

“This is not a case where the applicant was not provoked.”

He said Parker’s personal and business interest did not mean anything to him at that time and his actions were a breach of trust.

Meanwhile the late Mr Nason was farewelled by his family and friends today at the Sioni Kami Memorial Church in Port Moresby.