Rugby Australia

NRL no place for Israel Folau, claims sport's chief

When Rugby Australia indicated its intention to sack Folau last month, eyes almost immediately turned to a handful of NRL clubs who could afford to bring the controversial fullback on board.

But before they could even pick up the phone, Beattie made a stand by declaring the NRL off limits for the fallen star.

Speaking in Brisbane ahead of the NRL Magic Round, Beattie reiterated the reasons behind that decision.

Folau offered to quit Rugby Australia contract

The Wallabies fullback wrote a lengthy piece on sports website Players Voice, addressing the fallout from his Instagram message and reiterating his deep religious convictions.

Folau said that in a meeting last week with RA chief executive Raelene Castle and Waratahs CEO Andrew Hore, he gave his bosses the option to sack him.

Rugby Australia to talk to Folau over gay comments

RA announced that chief executive Raelene Castle and Waratahs boss Andrew Hore would meet with Folau following a statement he made on Instagram.

Australia's highest-profile player, who is a devout Christian, sparked social media outrage on Wednesday when he said gay people were headed to "HELL ... Unless they repent of their sins and turn to God" in response to a question on Instagram.