Refugees

Warrant of arrest out for two Asylum seekers

Senior Magistrate Josephine Nidu issued the warrant of arrest for 26-year-old Mehdi Bohlouli and 28-year-old Mahbomb Rabbani Mohammad.

Both men were arrest on Jan 1, 2017 after they were picked up by police on New Year Eve at Salasia village near Lorengau.

They were charged with drunk and disorderly behaviour and resisting police arrest. They have been on bail of K200 each, however that bail has been forfeited.

Acting Provincial Police Commander Senior Inspector David Yapu said he has directed his officers to execute the warrants of arrest and have them locked up.

Refugees’ cases adjourned to this week

Their cases were stood over to Wednesday this week for mention because the magistrate in Lorengau was not available last week.

They are expected to be represented in court by private lawyers in Manus as their lawyer is out of the country.

Two of the refugees of Iranian origin were arrested on New Years Eve at Salasia village, near Lorengau and charged with drinking and behaving disorderly in public and resisting police arrest.   

They are 26-year-old Mehdi and 28-year-old Mohammad. The have been released on K200 police bail.

More drunken refugees arrested in Manus

This follows the arrest of  two others from Iran the day before  who were charged for drunk and disorderly behaviour on New Years eve.

The three refugees were arrested around 7:30pm in front of the Splendid shop, in Lorengau town.

Provincial Police Commander Chief Inspector David Yapu said two of the men are from Bangladesh while  one is from Burma. They are aged 22, 24 and 26.

PPC Yapu said the three men were drunk and were causing a nuisance in town when police were called in to arrest them. They remain in custody and have not been able to pay police bail.

Peace, goodwill, and family: Refugees celebrate their first Australian Christmas

Zainabu and her son Abdul-Aziz are from Congo, but have spent the last six years in a refugee camp in Uganda.

"This will be the first Christmas I can enjoy with my son," she said.

"In Africa I was not safe. I couldn't care about Christmas. If you are not safe, how can you enjoy it? Christmas was always too sad.

"But now I am here. I am happy, and able to enjoy Christmas for the first time in a very long time."

Asylum seekers pursue review against State

The section 5 notice or notice of claims was served on the State and PNG Immigration in November, and the Solicitor General, who represents the State in civil claim matters, rejected the notice.

It was rejected because the new Supreme Court case filed by the 731 asylum seekers, seeking enforcement orders from the Namah Supreme Court case of April 26, was filed out of time.

Nauru welcomes Australia's refugee deal with US

Australia has reached a resettlement deal with the United States for refugees being held on Papua New Guinea's Manus Island and Nauru.

About 900 men are in camp on Manus Island while about 400 people are in the camp on Nauru with roughly the same number living in the community.

The justice minister David Adeang said while the Nauru government had consistently sought to correct false reports about conditions and safety of the refugees, it had also always stated the need to find suitable third countries for permanent resettlement.

Australian Senate considers asylum abuse claims

Australia has run the controversial camps on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea and on Nauru for the past three years, amid heavily criticism from human rights groups, NGOs, medical organisations and former staff.

3,800 deaths ... and more on the way

That mix of fear, hope and greed has now produced a horrifying record.

More people have drowned in the Mediterranean this year than ever before: at least 3,800. That's 73 a week. That's 13 every day.

Here's a look at how we got to this point.

 

Why are they doing it?

They have no choice. They are Syrians, Afghans, Iraqis, escaping war. They are Nigerians and Eritreans in search of a better life.

Tags: 

New accommodation arrangements for refugees

The PNG Immigration has released new accommodation arrangements for the transferees which will see them separated in compounds according to their processing status come Oct 4.

Loop PNG confirmed with a transferee at the Manus centre that they were made aware of the new accommodation arrangements on Tuesday this week.

“All processing will end soon. Once the Minister decides your refugee status, there is no reason for you to remain in this centre,” the Communication guide released by PNG Immigration to those at the center stated.

5 days old and lost at sea

His short life has been anything but easy.

He, his twin brother and his mother were among the 6,500 refugees and migrants rescued in a 30-hour period while attempting to make the treacherous journey across the Mediterranean.

Médecins Sans Frontières' ship Dignity 1 and the Spanish humanitarian group Proactiva Open Arms rescued people who were aboard 15 rubber boats and one wooden vessel Monday.

The twins and their mother were transferred via Medevac for treatment in Italy, according to a tweet from MSF.