national court

Damaru asks court to review case dismissal

Damaru represented himself before Justice Leka Nablu where he asked the court to grant leave or allow a judicial review to take place.

The case was filed by Damaru and Inspector Joel Simatab, as police investigating officers challenging the Waigani Committal Court's decision on 7 June, 2016 to dismiss the case against Justice Sir Bernard Sakora, who was then facing allegations of judicial corruption.

Justice Nablu heard the motion and reserved her decision to June 1.

Chimbu man to stand trial

His son (19) and brother (29) will also stand trial after the Waigani District Court found sufficient evidence to commit their case for trial the National Court.

Magistrate Cosmas Bidar today made a ruling on their case after the lower court screened evidence produced by police.

They are expected to appear for listing on June 5.

Names in this article have been omitted due to the nature of allegations and the victim being a high school student.

Cop convicted for unlawful use of vehicle

Joshua Kraip was found guilty of using a stolen motor vehicle on March 10, 2016 from the Gordon Police station to the Morata police barracks. He said he did so to retrieve his notebook that contained the details of the man who is alleged to have sold the vehicle to him earlier.

The vehicle belonging to Camilus Narokobi and was stolen from his wife on  Feb 16 last year.

The vehicle’s registration number was changed and it was only discovered at the station that the vehicle was stolen.

Evidence in Pokea trial close

This was the response on Friday in the National Court from the man who is accused to have murdered former diplomat, the late Dennis Taylor Bebego, on July 5, 2014.

Evidence in the trial against Billy Sapsi Pokea of Suma village, Mendi, Southern Highlands Province closed on Friday at 3:40pm after he gave evidence in the witness box.

He denied leaving the office that day to buy a bush knife to murder the late Bebego.

Kange allowed K5000 bail

Despite four previous bail applications made and refused in the National Court (two applications) and Supreme Court (two applications), the court was satisfied this time around that circumstances had changed since the last bail application was moved, thus bail was allowed.

Kange’s case in the District court was committed for trial on March 28 after it found there was enough for him to stand trial.

Verdict on father’s sexual assault case today

A trial was conducted in the Waiagnai National Court after the man pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting his 13-year-old daughter in 2012.

The victim was in grade 6 at the time she was allegedly assaulted on three occasions.

The man whose identity is withheld to the age of the victim stood trial before Justice Nicholas Kirriwom this week.

It is the State’s allegation that he sexually assaulted her (penetration) in August, September and November of 2012 at various locations in the city after picking her up from school.

Guard: Unsuccessful petition led to robbery

Casper Louise was the company banker at the time of the robbery on Oct 4, 2013. He pleaded guilty to the offense on March 7 in the National Court.

He returned to court today, May 3, 2017 to give his statement before submission can be made by his lawyer and the state on the appropriate penalty sentence the court should impose on him.

Five of his other friends earlier pleaded not guilty and a trial was conducted. They were later found guilty for their involvement on April 13.

Parker trial: Key witness to fly in

Deputy Police Commissioner (operations) Jim Andrews assured the National Court today that the State’s key witness, who is the late Lapan Nason’s daughter, will be flown into Port Moresby on Tuesday.

He told the court that Police Commissioner Gary Baki authorised cheques this morning to arrange for late Lapan’s daughter to be flown in.

Commissioner Baki is said to be in Buka today and Andrews stepped in to explain to the court this afternoon, why the State’s key witness was not brought to Port Moresby in time for the commencement of the trial today.

Trial on PM’s arrest warrant review completed

The issue in the judicial review proceeding was for the National Court to review the decision of Chief Magistrate Nerrie Eliakim, who issued a warrant of arrest against the Prime Minister on June 12, 2014.

The review was filed by Geoffrey Vaki in his capacity as the then Police Commissioner on June 14, 2014.

On July 28, 2014, leave was granted by the National Court to Vaki for a judicial review to be conducted against the decision of the Chief Magistrate on June 12, 2014.

Another police officer to stand trial

Magistrate Cosmas Bidar today ruled there was sufficient to commit the case against Chief inspector Maria Jones for trial in the National Court.

On January 17, 2017, Jones in the company of other police officers conducted a raid at Tatana village for a suspect, Saleh Naime Tom, also known as Charlie Naime whom they believed was involved in the death of another man earlier.

The 40-year-old woman from Kubalia, Yangoru-Saussia district, East Sepik Province was arrested and charged with wilful murder on Monday April 4, 2016.