Manus refugees

Manus refugees without supplies due to roadblock

Since yesterday, heavy vehicles have been used to barricade the road to prevent service providers from entering.

The United Nations refugee agency said the roadblock stemmed from ongoing opposition from local landowners to Australia contracting the company JDA Wokman to provide caseworker support services.

The agency said service providers had also been prevented from entering the two other refugee facilities on the island.

The Kurdish journalist and refugee Behreouz Boochani said staff from the healthcare provider IHMS have also been unable to pass the roadblock.

Aust neglect on Manus 'undermining' Pacific development

In an open letter to the Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and the opposition leader Bill Shorten, the group, which includes doctors, nurses and teachers based in Solomon Islands, said Australia's reputation in the region had been damaged.

"The Australian government's treatment of asylum seekers on Manus Island is undermining our work and damaging Australia's reputation.

Aust govt forces overturn of supportive Manus vote

The house was debating a Senate recommendation the Government accept the offer.

New Zealand has, for several years, offered to take up to 150 of the refugees - an offer Canberra has always spurned, citing concerns the refugees would have easy access to Australia.

Daniel Webb from the Human Rights Law Centre said the House got it right on Monday.

Manus refugees deprived of beds and medical care

About 400 refugees were forced to give up their three-week protest last week by Papua New Guinea police, who moved the men to three facilities in the island's main town.

Sudanese refugee Abdul Aziz Adam is one of about 25 men unable to find a bed in the new facilities that pictures show is still under construction, despite Australian government claims to the contrary.

"For myself it’s been 48 hours I couldn't find a place to sleep," Mr Adam said on Sunday.

PNG police say Manus action peaceful - refugees disagree

   

They were there to try and remove the about 400 refugees who have refused to move to new camps at nearly Lorengau.

The police, soldiers and immigration officials entered the site early today and Mr Baki said it was a peaceful exercise with 50 inmates leaving.

He said police are doing the best they can for the refugees but they remain stubborn and defiant and are putting huge pressure on the island's community and its police resources.

Refugees to appeal court ruling

Human Rights lawyer Ben Lomai, has advised Boochani and others at the center to remain inside the closed facility, while they appeal the decision of the Chief Justice.

“The appeal documents will be filed today or the very latest tomorrow.

In the meantime I encourage both sides and particularly the PNG Immigration officials to show remorse and some sense of dignity at this point in time,” Lomai said.

The grounds of the appeal will be made known, once it is filed in the Supreme Court.

Yapu: Some Refugees voluntarily move

Provincial Police Commander, Chief Inspector, David Yapu in giving an update from Lorengau, said some refugees have voluntarily moved to the East Lorengau Transit center.

“A total of 24 refugees, voluntarily loaded three buses and open back truck with their personal belongings and were transferred to their new locations at East Lorengau Refugee Transit Centre .

”Police were there to facilitate their smooth and orderly transfers of the Refugees to their new locations. This is a good sign for them in allowing the process to flow smoothly.

Refugees frustrated

The Supreme court this morning refused to grant orders, to have services restored to the center on the basis all those services are available at alternate facilities ,and the center had to be closed in compliance to court orders.

Loop PNG spoke to Kurdish Iranian journalist, Behrouz Boochani today after the court’s ruling.

Court: Alternate accommodation provided for refugees

PNG’s Supreme Court today said this when refusing to grant an application by Beehrouz Boochani, seeking interim orders for the restoration of services at the now decommissioned Australian run regional processing center in Lombrum.

Chief Justice, Sir Salamo Injia, said Australia’s legal responsibility over the future welfare of the Asylum Seekers, ended with the closure of the center.

All refugees and Asylum seekers, left in the country are now the responsibility of the PNG Government.

VIDEO: Refugee court application update

Principal applicant, Kurdish-Iranian journalist, Behrouz Boochani filed the application on behalf of others also at Lombrum. 

 

Sally Pokiton with more

 

(Note that data charges apply when playing VIDEO content)