Lae Police

Murder victim's relatives give petition to police

The family of Cassidy Kausik, who was killed on Monday, September 17th , has given a petition to the Lae police.

According to a family friend, the murder has not been taken lightly, adding that the person who allegedly led the fight should be held accountable for his death.

The two page petition was addressed to the Lae Metropolitan Superintendent, OIC - Lae Police, the alleged suspects’ family and other persons whom they claim are somehow tied into this situation.

Call for justice following young intellects murder

The incident that took place during the early hours of Monday the 17th of September was allegedly the result of a drunken brawl.

The victim, 26 year old, Cassidy Kausik was the second among two reported deaths that occurred following the Independence celebrations.

Kausik recently graduated with a masters in Forestry, and was employed with the Forestry department – sadly in just two weeks he would have been flying to the UK to study for his PHD.

Another Buimo escapee apprehended

According to Lae police, some other suspects had broken into a company premises at 4am in the morning.

They were disturbed by Security Guards causing the suspects to open fire at the Security Guards.

Fortunately no one was hurt.

The Security Company contacted Police through our Toll Free number of which the Sector Response Unit 101 responded immediately to the scene.

Suspects were chased on foot but evaded arrest by going into residential areas.

​3 arrested for robbing photographer

The camera was worth more than K4000.

The victim was robbed on Tuesday afternoon when he was walking along the 7th St way.

China Town Police conducted foot patrol through the settlement and apprehended the three suspects and recovered the expensive piece of item.

The three are familiar faces who frequent town and bus stop, conducting illegal activities.

Lae Metropolitan Superintendent, Anthony Wagambie Jnr, thanked the China Town Police and the public for their support in apprehending the men.

​2 dead, woman hospitalised after independence celebrations

Lae metropolitan superintendent Anthony Wagambie Jnr says the first murder occurred at the back road of new block while the other death was caused after a drunken brawl at the bowling club carpark, where his body was found in a nearby drain.

The woman was allegedly raped when relatives of the first victim retaliated, kidnapping her and another male, who were later found by police.

Both incidents occurred between 3 to 4am Sunday.

​Lae police set for Independence celebrations

Lae metropolitan superintendent, Anthony Wagambie Junior, says special operations will be conducted throughout the city.

Police will also be at the Sir Ignatius Kilage stadium today as Independence day celebrations will be hosted there.

There will be zero tolerance on intoxicated persons. Police will be on high alert and will not entertain them. Wagambie Jnr says these people will not be allowed to disturb or spoil the celebrations.

​New vehicles for Lae police

The three vehicles have been allocated to the CID Sexual Offences Squad, Juvenile Justice Unit and the traffic section for Road Safety Awareness.

Lae metropolitan superintendent, Anthony Wagambie Jnr, said: “This command had requested to be allocated some but due to administrative hiccups, we only received them last week Friday.

“My management team have allocated the three vehicles to CID Sexual Offences Squad, Juvenile Justice Unit and the Traffic section for Road Safety Awareness and back up to the PMV Squad to curtail untrustworthy vehicles.

Lae police back fight against domestic violence

“I was elected the chairman of the Morobe Family Sexual Violence Action Committee last Wednesday,” says the Lae metropolitan superintendent.

“I take this as an honour to work alongside other stakeholders in this field. The stakeholders comprise of Government, NGOs and faith-based organisations.

“I am honoured to chair this committee and will make use of all the very experienced stakeholders to pave the way forward to fight gender-based violence and child abuse.”

Community hands over escapee to police

He was charged for Arm Robbery with 7 others back in 2013 at Eriku Service Station 2013 and had escaped at Buimo CIS in 2014.

During his absence, he was convicted without his presence by the Lae National Court.

He was also wanted for questioning in relation to a Murder at the back road.

He had been threatening the community when they mobilized, injured and captured him at Ass Mambu back road.

Police were later informed and picked him up, charging him for escaping from lawful custody.

Rongap murder suspect apprehended

This was a combined effort between the Lae police Intelligence Officers and the Sector Response Unit members.

The suspect was apprehended after Police Intel officers gathered information of his whereabouts and location and a raid was later conducted at 4.30am this morning at Ass Mambu back road, Lae.

Detained along with the suspect was a married couple found to be harboring him

They were also taken into custody.

According to Lae police reports, the suspect has been committing crime along the back road area and threatening witnesses to the crime.