SP Hunters thrash Seagulls 40-16

The SP PNG Hunters have maintained their winning streak by soaring over the Wynnum Manly Seagulls this afternoon at the National Football Stadium.

They played their final home game with their usual grand final approach, keeping the crowd on its feet until the final whistle.

An all-round solid performance by the SP PNG Hunters ensured their 40-16 victory over the Wynnum Manly Seagulls.

Just 1 minute into the round 23 match and senior player Wartovo Puara Jnr wasted no time in crossing over the visitors’ try line.

10 minutes later, an energetic Eddene Gebbie followed suit, bringing the already excited crowd to its feet.

Captain Ase Boas converted the try for a 10-point lead.

23 minutes in and speedster Adex Wera overtook Seagulls defenders for another try.

A successful conversion by the Hunters captain extended the lead to 16-0.

The Seagulls finally managed to break the ice 32 minutes in with a try from Jayden Berrell.

Michael Dobson’s conversion ensured the 6 points for his team.

Their euphoria was, however, cut short when Gebbie, with his trademark sidestep, slid over the line for his second try.

The teams went for half time with the scores at 20-6.

A return from second half once again saw the SP Hunters take lead with a try through Mekenzie Yei.

Boas converted the try to extend their lead, with the scores now at 26-6.

Maintaining the home side’s momentum, Moses Meninga wasted no time in getting over the Seagulls’ line.

Boas once again converted for a 26-point lead.

52 minutes in and this time, the SP Hunters captain made sure he put his name on the board, with the scores now at 36-6.

12 minutes later, the eldest Boas dashed through the line of defenders before passing the ball to his sibling, who was just fresh off the bench.

Watson made sure his big brother’s run wasn’t in vain as he flew over the line for his first try.

With only 10 minutes left, the Seagulls managed to slot in two tries but it was too little too late as the SP PNG Hunters recorded a triumphant 40-16 win in their final home game.

Carmella Gware