The event was witnessed by families of soldiers and colleagues from various sections within the PNGDF.
PNGDF Chief of Staff and founder of the Warrior school Major Walter Enuma was also present to witness the occasion along with other PNGDF senior members.
The soldiers performed drills which included:
- Tactical driving skills and motorbike drills display;
- Weapon relay;
- Break contact drills;
- Rappelling (tower);
- Airborne Rappelling (helicopter);
- Close quarter battle drills (counter terrorists); and
- Combat shooting practice.
The soldiers also displayed the equipment, history and unit videos, medical stall to display first aid treatment during war and other interactive stalls.
The LRRU is the PNGDF’s premier special forces.
It is a strategic asset that provides reconnaissance (recon) and counter terrorism (CT) capability for the PNGDF.
It is responsible for providing specialist recon and CT elements that can deploy at very short notice by Land, Sea and Air.
The roles and responsibilities include:
• Provide strategic recon support for the PNGDF;
• Provide CT support for the PNGDF;
• Provide incident response elements at very short notice to move; and
• Maintain liaison with PNG joint agency response elements.
Today marks the 21st anniversary since its inception in 1996.