Petrol sniffing by children

Petrol sniffing by children is becoming a concern.

Recently members of the Policing the Police Task Force Team came across four boys, aged between 6 and 10, sitting in a circle at Five-Mile in the NCD, sniffing petrol from coke bottles.

Three of them escaped while one of them, barely 8 years old, was taken to his mother who lives at the Gordon 5 Ridge, who gave him a good belting.

The child said he and his friends contributed money and gave to an older boy to buy the petrol at a petrol station.

“Parents please keep tabs on your children’s whereabouts at all time,” said police. “Petrol stations are also urged to be more responsible when selling petrol to containers.

“Petrol is dangerous for your health because it’s toxic. Exposure to petrol, either through physical contact or inhalation, can cause health problems. The effects of petrol poisoning can harm every major organ in our bodies.”

(The containers that were confiscated from the boys)

Press release