Earthquake relief: Overwhelming response from residents

Concerned Port Moresby City residents are coming forward to donate in cash and kind to assist earthquake victims in the affected areas of the Highlands region and Western Province.

The city residents’ positive response comes immediately after NCD Governor Powes Parkop launched the NCD Earthquake Relief Centre at City Hall car park on Monday, March 5, 2018.

During the launch, Governor Parkop appealed to city residents to help donate in cash and kind to support fellow countrymen, women and children affected by the recent earthquake.

The Governor also announced that the earthquake victims in Southern Highlands, Hela, Enga and Western provinces will have their relief supplies delivered to them immediately.

“It has been over seven days since this disaster and there are still big aftershocks with a death toll that continues to climb. The situation is critical and requires our urgent attention,” Governor Parkop said.

At least 67 people have been killed and thousands have been left homeless, according to the PNG Red Cross.

It has been reported that nearly 150,000 people remain in urgent need of emergency supplies.

So far, good citizens of Port Moresby have come out and made positive donations since the launch of the appeal by Governor Parkop.

The general manager of Eliso Trading, Zovin Yan, came forward with a generous donation of K20,000 cash, 150 mattresses and 300 cartons of food stuff (biscuits and noodles) with 11 bales of brand new clothes. These donations are from his family business which also include Supreme Investments and Best Gear Limited.

“This is the kind of help we all need to be providing right now,” said Governor Parkop.

Another generous donation came from a private citizen, Leonard Rumbua, who donated K20,000 cash towards the earthquake disaster appeal.

Governor Parkop thanked both men for the donations, pointing out that the K450 million committed by the National Government to help the earthquake victims is not enough as the money will be used for reconstructing extensive damages done to the infrastructure of buildings and roads.

The appeal tent at City Hall was opened on Monday and will run for a week until Friday March 9, 2018. It starts at 9am and finishes 4pm.

Donations in cash and kind from the public, individuals, business houses (private and public sector) are all welcome.

Contributions of clothes, cooking utensils, beddings and cash will go a long way in assisting those affected by the earthquake.

Yesterday donations continued to stream in, including clothes and cooking utensils by Eight-Mile mothers. Collectively, small donations become big donations.

One 20-foot container is already filled with clothes and mattresses, while another container is being filled with donations of noodles and rice.

Governor Parkop is committed to ensuring all donations in cash and kind are fully accounted for and distributed to the right people where they are needed most.

For more information, contact team leader James Yalya on 7308 0529.

Author: 
Press release