The appointment was made by Governor General, Sir Bob Dadae.
This follows advice from the National Executive Council (NEC), and by virtue of the powers conferred in Section 41 (1) of the National Pandemic Act 2020, the Governor General declared the existence of a COVID-19 pandemic throughout PNG with effect from 17 June until further notice.
Following his appointment Manning issued seven National Pandemic Measures as part of the Government's COVID-19 response.
- International & Domestic Travel Measures;
- Provincial Coordination Measures;
- Burial of Deceased Persons Measures;
- Customs Duties Measures;
- COVID-19 Testing Measure;
- COVID-19 Surveillance & Testing Measures: and
- Business & Social Measures